Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs Play Hide and Seek

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

Programs disappear from sight but are still running. ONE EXAMPLE: One day ClipCache disappeared. I could hear it (I use the sounds with it) so I knew it was copying but I couldn't see it and I couldn't find it. Task manager did not show it in the Applications screen, only in the Processes screen and no icon showed in the system tray. ALT+Tab didn't show its icon either.

Another vanishing act comes from games. For no apparent reason, the music and other sounds in a couple of games just quit. Program keeps running but without any sound. Other computer sounds play on.

Machine is clean. No virus. Power Supply is new.

Where might I look to locate my problem?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

I would check Event Viewer for noted errors which might shed some light.

I'd also run the dxdiagnostic tool and run the appropriate HELP troubleshooters, if called for.

Louis

#3 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

I would check Event Viewer for noted errors which might shed some light.

I'd also run the dxdiagnostic tool and run the appropriate HELP troubleshooters, if called for.

Louis

I've had very little luck in the past looking at the Event Viewer so through all the problems I've been having I didn't bother to look there. I took your advice and gave it a peek. As unlearned as I am, even I can see the problem lies with either my new video card or the driver. Am I right?

Event Viewer provides this - over and over again related to various applications - the ones that are crashing:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : Mempad: WAIT_TIMEOUT, LAST SUCCESS: (tid: 0xec4) (pid: 0xb04)

And the same with different endings:

The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : writer: Mutex Recovery Code - leaving recovery code.

The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : writer: Mutex Recovery Code - after 120 seconds, mutex recovered. NView (and Mutexes) are now enabled again.

NVIEW : writer: Entered Mutex Recovery Code. NView (and Mutexes) are not enabled.

NVIEW : wweb32: WAIT_TIMEOUT, LAST SUCCESS: (thread 0x84c) (cmdName:wweb32.exe) WindowManager.cpp 3329

I had these things show up occasionally before I "upgraded" my video card. Now it is never ending.

I'm thinking I will take the computer back to the tech who installed the card unless you think there is something I might do to resolve the problem myself.

Can you tell me what this means? The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. I have a stand alone system that no but me ever touches, so I don't understand what "remote" computer I should be displaying messages from. But I don't know much.

Thanks so very much!! :thumbsup:

HP Pavilion - Pentium® 4CPU
160GB HDD 1500 MB RAM
Windows XP SP2 Home

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t22547.html

I would...try uninstalling (using Device Manager) the video drivers...and then reinstalling.

Louis

#5 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t22547.html

I would...try uninstalling (using Device Manager) the video drivers...and then reinstalling.

Louis

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users