Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What the ? Does This Mean - Exactly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.

I find this over and over and over and over again in DrWatson. Anyone want to clue me in to what it means?

Thanks.

HP Pavilion - Pentium® 4CPU
160GB HDD 1500 MB RAM
Windows XP SP2 Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

I don't know what that means (I am not a coder)...but I do know that it's not terribly important for the average person when analysing BSOD debug errors.

The more important, useful info would be the process named...the driver named...and such.

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#3 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

I don't know what that means (I am not a coder)...but I do know that it's not terribly important for the average person when analysing BSOD debug errors.

The more important, useful info would be the process named...the driver named...and such.

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

Not having BSODs, just program crashes. Thanks for the information. I'm checking out the info on the link you gave me. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

BSODs and crashes are the same thing, in my world.

A BSOD which occurs while the user has autoreboot set...results in a crash without the onscreen error message.

Both of these should result in a .dmp file being generated.

Having the system set up for auto reboot on crash...results in the user not having immediate info about what took place, but that info is also contained in the .dmp file.

Automatic Reboot - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...el_02may13.mspx

How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/

OTOH...onscreen freezes can be caused by any number of things, with overheating or damaged program files being the leading causes, IMO.

And, of course, malware can cause all of these.

Louis

#5 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

Thanks, hamluis. I was mostly just curious, wondering why I see this all the time. I see it when I'm having problems and I see it when I am not having problems.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

AFAIK...the only place you should see such...would be on a debug report of a .dmp file created by a BSOD.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users