Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Professional OEM Version and Registration

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 meppwc

meppwc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

I had a system builder build me a computer and he installed XP Professional OEM on my machine. I want to format the hard drive and reinstall the XP Professional OEM operating system. The system builder provided me with the installation disk.

I have never reinstalled the XP operating system before. I have installed W2K on machines in the past so I am familiar with how to do this. My understanding is that when you perform a clean reinstall of the XP operating system, you have to perform activation with MS within "x" amount of days. Does this need to activate hold true when you are installing an OEM version of XP Pro on the same computer?

Edited by meppwc, 03 January 2010 - 11:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

The system builder should have also provided you with a Product Key alongside the installation disk. Alternatively, you can retrieve the product key that was used to validate your current installation using Keyfinder. Note that keyfinder will only work prior to the reformat.

~Blade

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 meppwc

meppwc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:40 AM

I have the product key. What I need to know is if I will have to perform activation again. And if so, what it will involve

#4 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:14 AM

Just do a normal clean installation, after which, it will prompt you to activate it through various method.

Just choose one that you want, and there you go.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

If you install your network drivers first (after ensuring that your firewall is active), activation takes place over the Internet...in a matter of seconds.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users