Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

registry cleaners

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:27 AM

I downloaded two free registry cleaners. One said i had 1500 faults, the second said i had 800 faults. Can they both be right, and is it safe to delete or move the suspected files.Why dose my antivirus not pick them up.Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:57 AM

First, I would not permit the downloaded registry cleaners to remove any files. They can cause a great deal of harm. Second, I would uninstall both of them.

Then download and install ccleaner. It is a safe and very light registry cleaner. By light, I mean it will only remove those items in the registry that are obviously dead-end entries or of no value. I have used it for years, and it works exceptionally well. Be sure and keep it updated.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Your anti-virus did not pick them up because they could very well be legit programs, but legit programs can still cause harm to your computer. You were wise to ask for guidance before executing those programs.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

Registry cleaners are NOT antivirus.

Read this for more info:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-Registry-Clea...&id=3103586

#4 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:28 PM

First, I would not permit the downloaded registry cleaners to remove any files. They can cause a great deal of harm. Second, I would uninstall both of them.

Then download and install ccleaner. It is a safe and very light registry cleaner. By light, I mean it will only remove those items in the registry that are obviously dead-end entries or of no value. I have used it for years, and it works exceptionally well. Be sure and keep it updated.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Your anti-virus did not pick them up because they could very well be legit programs, but legit programs can still cause harm to your computer. You were wise to ask for guidance before executing those programs.

I have downloaded .what you sugested, but it says it will permanantly delete all the files it finds.Is this safe. thanks again.

#5 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

If you have run the registry cleaner, yes it is safe to delete them. It should also ask you first if you want to create a registry backup before you delete them. This might be a good idea until you get more familiar with the program. I have been using this program for so long and have such trust in it, that I no longer create a backup first.

Also, take advantage of the cleaner program located above the registry cleaner. Look in the left panel to decide which entries you want to be removed, usually the default settings are good enough. I would stay away from the Advanced section.

Run both the cleaner and the registry scanner periodically, you can click on the 'Check for updates' in the lower right corner on occasion to see if there is a newer version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users