Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Care Firewall Will Not Stay Activated

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:33 AM

Howdy,

I had a power outage last night. The computer had a hard shut down and rebooted. I had a black screen and was told to press F1 to get going again. When I connected to the internet I got a warning that my firewall was turned off. I checked my date and time and the date was incorrect. I fixed that and rebooted but the firewall was still off.

I went into live care and tried to turn the firewall on but I got the following screen telling me One Care could not turn on the Firewall. I then tried system restore. Now when I reboot the firewall will activate but shuts off after a few minutes.

Posted Image

If I go to the control panel and click on security I get the following screen. Notice it shows the firewall disabled. If I tick the enable and click apply nothing happens other than my curser turning into a hour glass.

Posted Image

If I go to settings in One Care and click turn on Firewall nothing happens other than the cursor turning into a hour glass.
Posted Image

Is there a way to reset the firewall ?

Any help would be most appreciated. At this point I am on the internet without a firewall. Not good. I am going to shut down and check back a little later.

THank You for your time.

Dennis :thumbsup:

XP Home, IE-8, SP-3

EDIT: I found a Microsoft firewall repair tool on the Internet and ran it. I rebooted and so far (15 minutes) the firewall has stayed activated. Hopefully the problem is solved.

Edited by Dennis H, 03 January 2010 - 08:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

I would start here:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=One...are_Stopped.htm
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Before posting here I Googled the problem and there were many suggested fixes. Many of them required messing with the registry which I did not want to do.

Eventually I found the repair tool which is the same one that is on the One Care screen that you posted. I could not get to it going through my One Care screen. When I clicked on help all I got was the hour glass.

The firewall has been working for about an hour now so I am crossing my fingers.

This is the Microsoft repair tool that I used in case anyone runs into the same problem.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/4...ewallRepair.exe

I ran it and rebooted.

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 03 January 2010 - 12:25 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:39 AM

Keep an eye on the date and time
If it changes again, you'll have to change the CMOS battery
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

OK, will do.

Thanks,

Dennis

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

Wasn't Live One Care replaced by Microsoft Security Essentials?

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

Yes but just as my subscription was running out (August,09) Essentials was not ready to go.

Microsoft gave me a free 6 month extension of One Care. My time is up February 18th, 2010.

Dennis

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Ahh, I was just curious :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users