Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm having a frustrating problem with my computer.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rorschach235

Rorschach235

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:44 AM

Lately I've been having a lot of problems with my computer. It all started one day when i tried running a tune up with onecare and C: drive defrag didnt complete fully. Then i noticed that every time i tried to shutdown my computer, its had an important update to install, which turned out to be SP2. I checked the update log, and every time it tried to install it , the install failed. So i tried a manual download of the .exe and that didnt work either. finally i just said forget it, ill run SP1. there were no problems for a while until tonight. I started up my computer, and it was running fine for a while when all of a sudden there was no sound (I didnt notice until i was playing a game and found that there was no sound). So i checked the tray of my desktop and noticed that the connection applet (or whatever it's called) was giving me a red X and said "class not registered." However i can still connect to the internet. I tried multiple solutions online, checked services as an admin (all the services are running as far as i know), and countless other things. I don't know what to do. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:30 AM

Rorschach235,

Welcome to BC.

You might want to have a look at, How do I reset Windows Update components?

Note this Fix it Solution has two modes Default and Aggressive. You should run the Fix it solution in Default mode and determine if it resolves your problem with Windows Update before running it in Aggressive mode.

Edited by ratchet48, 03 January 2010 - 04:32 AM.

#3 Rorschach235

Rorschach235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Ok, I tried the page you gave me, and it said windows installer cant be accessed (this can occur if windows installer is not correctly installed). Welp...

#4 Rorschach235

Rorschach235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

I also looked at the *fix it myself* section, tried both of the first 2 cmds in cmd prompt, and the first said " the background intelligent service is not started" and the second one said "system error 5 has occurred access is denied"

#5 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:31 AM

Thats OK, now Vista is telling us were it hurts. :huh:

Can you go to the Start button and in the Search box type run , whe the run box pops up type net start MSIServer and hit OK.

If you get a failure message please post it.

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:50 AM

hi,,, sorry to butt in here,,, im wondering if system one care has a backup facility with in the program its self,,, most of these cleaning fixing programs do just encase of such events,,, and if so try reinstalling this backup.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 Rorschach235

Rorschach235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Ok, I did the net start MSIServer and no errors happened. i saw the black box pop up then immediatley go away (I'm guessing it was cmd prompt). Also as far as Windows Live Onecare is concerned, they dont have an automatic restore point system, and I don't have any backed-up files on a seperate hard drive. I also installed Revo Uninstaller to uninstall a stubborn program right before i started having these problems. It created one or 2 restore points, but I don't know how i can access them and restore the system. Also, I'm having problems with windows defender (I have it turned off b/c onecare replaces it), and whenever I try to open it, the window freezes up and i have to end up force quitting it thru task manager.

#8 Rorschach235

Rorschach235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

okay, i figured it out. the restore point was accessible from revo and i restored and rebooted. sound is back, defender isn't pestering me, and eveything seems to be just fine. Now, about the SP2 installation...

Edited by Rorschach235, 03 January 2010 - 06:34 PM.

#9 Rorschach235

Rorschach235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

Now im having issues with the services that run the network connections. Network List Service and Network Connections won't start because the logon is different from other services in the same process. I have them set to automatic start and then the logon is Network Services with the automatic password on it. I tried looking at dependencies, and tried changing those logons, but I can't figure it out.

E: I can still connect to the internet, but it's the services that give me the connection info that aren't running.

Edited by Rorschach235, 03 January 2010 - 06:35 PM.

#10 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:08 AM

hi,,, looks like maybe some system files got changed or messed with,,,, try a system file check with your recovery disc in the drive,,,, if this does not work then use the recovery disc to boot from and run aa start up repair,,,,,,,,,,,, as for the one care program,,, what i meant was does one care ask you to or auto save a backup with in its self,,, like ccleaner will ask you if you want to save a backup when cleaning the registry and eusing will auto save one with out asking ???
also as far as windows defender is concerned,, i would recommend something/anything else, as defender is total crap and does not catch anything getting past,,,, try MBAM full version,,, its a one time payment for a life time subscription,,,, i do not recommend pay for software usually, as i give free alternatives all the time,,, apart from security,,, in that case i just recommend what i think is the best tool for the pc weather its free of pay for :huh:
good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#11 Rorschach235

Rorschach235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'm not sure if you know what Onecare is. Its a windows anti virus and firewall program that replaces defender. It takes care of defrag, removing malware, spyware, etc. and many other things. And to answer your question: yes, onecare DOES have a file backup within itself, but it isn't an automatic one (I have to get a portable hard drive to back anything up). Also, I haven't gotten around to backing up any files on my computer (which is why I cant do a system restore). the way i fixed my computer is by restoring a system recovery checkpoint from a program called Revo Uninstaller. I figured out that the issue was that I tried to uninstall a program (a toolbar for Firefox) and by forcing an uninstall something happened to my computer or its registry. right before forcing the uninstall, revo crated a restore point (this is what i used to fix my system). The only issue I'm having now is with the applet that runs in the tray. It's not working properly because the services that pertain to running it have different logons. I looked at the properties of each service that pertains to this applet, and It was right, the logons dont match. Its just that I cant figure out what the logons should be for each one.

#12 Rorschach235

Rorschach235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

okay, never mind, I figured it out. Apparently Network Listing Service had was dependent on a program run by Local Service, so i changed it and Its all good.Thanks for all the help you two gave me, much appreciated!

#13 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

hi,,, i do know what one care is,,, its microsoft charging people for things they already have on there pc's,,, it relies too much on Windows components such as Internet Explorer and Windows Defender for its security,,, which are both crap anyway, many of the features are already available for free within Windows os and at one time it did not support Firefox or Opera browsers forcing the user to use IE,,, it does not protect against key loggers, the firewall is also lacking in registry protection, file protection, data filtering, VB 100% certification and W.C.L levels 1 and/or 2 certification. This means that you are scanning and cleaning viruses and spyware, which should be blocked in the first place.
when i first used onecare ms had just purchased it from an east European company and were offering it for free,,, this has all changed now and they are trying to enter the very rich market that Norton and McAfee, Kaspersky and many other and better security programs inhabit,,,,, glad to see your issue is sorted out and
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users