Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Extensions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lukeharris

lukeharris

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:19 AM

Hello

Please can anyone help me I have just purchased a Sony Vaio laptop running Win XP pro, there are three icons; windows messenger, research and yahoo messenger on the explorer toolbar, these icons are greyed out and cannot be accessed, I have looked in the Manage Add-Ons and they are there as enabled.
I have contacted the Sony Tech Support who are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike!

I have updated windows, service pack 2 etc.

This problem only seems to affect Sony computers, but sony are unable or unwilling to sort out this problem.

Is there any one out there who can help me, I would very much appreciate it

Many thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:09 AM

Have you verified that MSN Messenger and Yahoo messenger are installed on your computer? If so, can you use each by launching them? Both of these require some initialisation (establishing and attaching profiles or passports) before they will work properly.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 August 2005 - 11:10 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 lukeharris

lukeharris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:11 PM

Both of them are fully installed and working, Sony has altered IE because I have looked on other machines, Dell, HP, Acer, and they all have these enabled, the only thing that I can think of is that when you look at Manage Add-ons the items types are Browser Extensions but they do not have files names like the others in add-ons.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:40 PM

Download Mozilla Firefox and see if the same problem exists.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Chances are you will like it better than IE. Most people do.

(You have to keep IE though for pages that require Active X like Windows Update, but you can certainly have both.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users