Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird ingternet connection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:09 AM

i was at a friends house and i deccided to check out my internet connection. i pluged in my ethernet and it worked fine. i come home and im not able to establish a connection and i know its not my connection because then i pull out my other laptop, take the same ethernet cable, plug in and now im online posting questions. so it has to be the laptop. ive tried installing drivers and everything, but im not able to connect. if someone could just help me out that would be great. the laptop that i am having problems with is a Toshiba Satellite m45-s355.

-thank you for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

What make and model router do you have?

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and hit Enter. What is your IPv4 or IP address and what is your default gateway? If you have wireless, you are looking for the info under "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection"

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

well, a few things happened. i get an error message saying unrecognized or incomplete command line, but there is a lot of info there, but most are new command lines tooo try like /? or /all or /release and i dont see my ip any where.

well, a few things happened. i get an error message saying unrecognized or incomplete command line, but there is a lot of info there, but most are new command lines tooo try like /? or /all or /release and i dont see my ip any where.

and i am not trying to get wireless because that works just fine.

-thanks for the help

Edited by sharpie, 03 January 2010 - 06:26 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

you type ipconfig and get an error?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

ok i re did it and im about to type everything that it says because i need as much help as possible.

microsoft windows xp version 5.1.2600
windows ip configuration
ethernet adapter wireless network connections:
connection-specific DNS suffix . :
autoconfiguration ip address ...................................:169.254.79.244
subnet mask..........................................................:255.255.0.0
default gateway......................................................:169.254.79.244

ethernet adapter local area connection:
media state.............................................................:media disconnected

C:\Documents and settings\Fox>

hope that helps because thats everything that it says.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

That IP address means your laptop is not talking to your router.

Click Start -> mouse over Connect to -> click All connections. Local area connection - right click it if disable is listed click it, once it disables the connection right click it again and Enable should be listed, click it. If Enable is listed when you first right click it, click Enable. The status should change to Connected. If it doesn't right click it again and click Repair.

If that doesn't work let me know.

#7 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

thanks, but that didn't work. i tried clicking on the repair button, but it wouldn't let me. most of the other options were black and you could click on them, but the repair was gray and i couldn't click on it. but then i connected the cable and it didn't work so i restarted it and it still didn't work.(but i did do all the other steps)

i really do appreciate the help.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

Was it enabled? cause I mentioned repair at the end. I wanted you to Disable it then Enable it then repair it if needed.

Are you sure you have the Ethernet cable plugged into your Ethernet port? I am assuming you do but thought I'd check.

Right click the Local Area Connection -> click Properties -> in the box scroll down to Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) click it -> click the Properties button just below -> make sure the dot is beside "Obtain an IP etc..." and "Obtain DNS server etc...." Click OK twice. If the dots were already there go on to the next step below. If not it should be picking up an IP address.

Click Start -> click run -> type cmd and hit Enter -> in the box that pops up, type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and hit Enter -> reboot your PC. Try to surf.

What is the make and model of your router? If that doesn't work

#9 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

the modem says its a touchstone telophoney modem. could that really be the problem because i have this laptop hooked up to it right now.....and yes i have followed all of your steps properly, but they still havn't worked but we can keep trying if you dont mind.

thanks

o and before i reinstalled the os this laptop worked fine with that modem also.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:56 AM

ethernet adapter wireless network connections:
connection-specific DNS suffix . :
autoconfiguration ip address ...................................:169.254.79.244
subnet mask..........................................................:255.255.0.0
default gateway......................................................:169.254.79.244

Above is your wireless.

ethernet adapter local area connection:
media state.............................................................:media disconnected

Above is your wired connection. The cable is not plugged in. I get the same error message when I unplug my cable from the router. So double check you have it plugged into the right place.

#11 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

thank you for the reply cave, but heres the thing when i plug in to my modem the light comes on and when i plug the ethernet cable in to the back of the laptop the light for the ethernet comes on in the back and when i unplug it it i get a message on the screen that says " local area connection, a network cable is unplugged so im thinking that it has to recognize it in some way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users