Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Firewall Installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:49 AM

This may be a dumb question for some. Not totally "computer impaired" but I am stuck in "learning curve" mode.!! Here goes.

I currently have McAfee Firewall purchased & preinstalled on my fairly new Dell pc. That subscription will run out in April. I'm not happy with McAfee support and do not wish to renew their product and know it will "deactivate" on expiration date. Am leaning towards Sygate Free Firewall, based on Jgweed's recommendation and some Sygate site research. This despite the fact that Symantec is buying them out. Since firewalls don't need update defs like AV's, think I'll go on and give it a try and get the FW while I can get it free.

My question: while McAfee is still installed and running, can I download the Sygate SW and "save" it to my desktop, just keep it there until April and install at that later date? Or do you think downloading it to a CD in my RW drive would be a wiser option?

Will McAfee let me download another FW while it is running, so long as I don't attempt to run the install/setup?
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:07 AM

I guess I dodn't know that Symantec was buying out Sygate. I wonder if that is going to mean in the big picture.

You can download it now and save it to your desktop if you want, or burn it to a cd. I can't see that one option is necessarily better than the other....McAfee won't block any downloads, just don't try to run two firewalls at the same time. Make sure that when you do install Sygate that McAfee is completely gone. I guess I also wouldn't wait until the last minute to install it, because sometimes there are minor issues that you may need the Sygate forums to help correct. I'm not saying that their support forums will disappear overnight, I would just want to make sure to have all resources available just in case something goes wrong.

#3 buttoni

buttoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

Well, I think they are still in negociations, but looks like it is going to happen. I learned either on Wilders or BroadbandReports this week. The more I think about it, I think I'll put it on a CD as a backup copy so I'll be able to reinstall it if the need ever arises (like after a reformat, corrupted file or something).

Yes, I have got the list of McAfee instructions for getting all the McAfee tidbits and remnants off my pc. Have never installed a firewall, so I hope all goes OK when I finally do it.

Thanks for the advice and pointers, Groovicus.

Edited by buttoni, 20 August 2005 - 12:33 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:30 PM

I see why I didn't know about it.. the press release I read was from the 16th, and I have had my head buried for the last week in code....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users