Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PS3/proxy server/ Asus wireless router.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dave500

dave500

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:17 AM

Afternoon All,

Just wondering if anyone can think of a solution for a problem I'm having. I have a wireless connection to a laptop and a PS3 via a Asus wireless router( through main pc). I can connect to the internet via the laptop and PS3 (and main computer) however I am trying to set my PS3 to connect to a proxy server through the wireless router - I'm really not sure how to do this. I would like the PS3 to connect to the proxy address but I would like the main pc and laptop not to (I'm probably not making much sence am I??) Do I have to change settings in the wireless router or can I do this through the pc and/or PS3?
What I am trying to achieve is to connect the ps3 to the proxy so that I can install BBC Iplayer (I have a British TV license and spent 6 months of the year here in Australia and 6 months in the uk - hence i'd like connect to my UK proxy server address) I suffer from severe techno fear and really have no idea what I'm doing so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:13 AM

Here it has where you can put a proxy server in the PS3.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 dave500

dave500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Thanks CaveDweller2,

I've tried that and unfortunately I still can't connect to bbciplayer on the ps3 (once I've put all the setting in it won't connect to the internet or find the I.P address) I think it must be something to do with the router because I can access BBCIplayer on the main pc . I think maybe i need to change some settings in Internet options and maybe on the router, but I'm not confident enough to try in case I stuff everything else up!

Thanks again.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

I think you need to set it to a static IP address. Without the proxy set, get it connected to the net so all is working. Then go into the connection settings and write them down. Now go in and click Manual to set it up and enter the same stuff in that you wrote down, only add 10 to the last number. Example: You wrote 192.168.1.12 add 10 to the .12 so its 192.168.1.22. Then set your proxy settings again. It should connect.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 dave500

dave500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:45 AM

Thanks CaveDweller2

Sadly I think Iím stuffed! I'm not sure if you mean connection settings on the Router/PC or PS3 (I really am rubbish at computers!) but I'm seriously keen to get this thing working and really do appreciate your time and effort in getting me through this particularly difficult computing experience. My router is 192.168.1.1, my PS3 comes up as 192.168.1.3 I believe my PC comes up as 192.168.1.2 and I assume the laptop would be 192.168.1.4 however I'm guessing the last two because I don't seem to have the necessary skills to find out if they are correct. I know my proxy server ip address and have tried on more occasions that I care to remember to get it to work on the PS3. It works on the pc and I can view Iplayer, but I just canít seem to get it onto the PS3! If I wasnít bald already I sure would be by now!
I think I need a beer!

Thanks again CaveDweller2, your patience and advice is much appreciated.

Edited by dave500, 05 January 2010 - 02:45 AM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:07 AM

I am assuming you want to do this on your PS3 so you can watch this on a TV rather than your PC monitor. So all of these settings are for the PS3.

In the IP address Setting page - you want to select Manual. It will ask for the following:

Enter what I have for each:

IP address - 192.168.1.13
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default Router/Gateway - 192.168.1.1
DNS server - 4.2.2.2
No need for 2 of them

Hit whatever button to save those settings. Leave the rest of the settings to Auto. or Do Not set. Let it test that you are still connecting. When it all passes. Then go back in to those settings and setup your Proxy setting. Make sure you type the address and port in correctly.

#7 dave500

dave500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:49 AM

Hi again!
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately when i put those settings in and run the internet connection test it fails to find an internet connection. It's doing my head in now!! - but thanks for trying much appreciated.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

On your PC - click Start -> click run -> type cmd and hit enter -> in the box that pops up, type ipconfig /all and hit Enter -> look for "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection" below that will be some info -> What is the IP address? What is the default Gateway?

If connected to a router they should both start with 192 or 172 or 10.

#9 dave500

dave500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:09 AM

Hi again!

Yep, did the above and got this (and some other stuff)

IP ADDRESS = 192.168.1.2

DEFAULT GATEWAY = 192.168.1.1

the PS3 comes up (on the ps3 settings) as 192.168.1.3

cheers again CaveDweller2

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

Ok, so why would manually setting the IP address to 192.168.1.13 make it not connect? If you entered all the info I posted correctly there is no reason it wouldn't connect. I am not talking about setting up the proxy settings, just set it to a static IP address.

What is the proxy server and port you are using?

#11 dave500

dave500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:40 AM

Just re checked the settings that you gave me and it does connect to the internet (on 192.168.1.13!) however when i put "use proxy" into the ps3 it wont connect (it does on the pc and I can watch BBCIplayer) Good question about the Port, I can't seem to find out which port it is connecting to the PS3 on? I've gone into the router settings and can't find a bloody thing! Could it be that I am connecting to the UK proxy server through the pc, but the proxy information is only going through the pc and not being sent to the ps3 via the router if you know what I mean? I know the proxy address is correct because I can use it on the PC (plus the fact I have a username and password)
ports tried = 80, 8080, 443, 5223, 3478, 3479, 3658.

I don't know, I'm on the verge of throwing the bloody lot out of the window!

Thanks again for all your help though, it's much appreciated.

Dave

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

What port are you using in the PC? They should be the same.

#13 dave500

dave500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

Port is 1084, have tried putting this in on the ps3 but with no luck.

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:13 AM

Does it give an error? or it just doesn't connect?

#15 dave500

dave500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:46 AM

Evening,

It says "a connection error has occurred". Let me just make sure I'm doing this right, I've put all the information that you gave me into the ps3, but left the proxy setting on "do not use" then tried to connect to the internet (all on the ps3) and it connects. When i enable use Proxy server (on the ps3) and type in the proxy server address and port and try to connect it fails, it obtains ip address ok but then fails on internet connection. My proxy server requires a username and password, both of which I enter on the pc and it works fine on the pc. Is there any way of checking which port is in use between the PS3/ROUTER and PC?

Regards
Dave.

Edited by dave500, 08 January 2010 - 03:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users