Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Ram

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aet9rat6

aet9rat6

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

Hi,
I was hoping someone could help me,,,
Recently I took my computer to a professional, to have ram installed.
I have a floopy drive, Today I was trying to use the drive and cant. So I went into the bios, and looked at the drives on that. Before all I had was an "A" drive that was 3.5,, now I have two drives A, B both with 5.25 (not postive about the 25 but I know for sure it was a 5). Can anyone tell me if this is a serious mistake, because now my drive is not being detected when I want to just read what is on a floopy?
Would appreciate any input about this :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

Every board has its own little quirks but it would sure sound like something is configured in BIOS wrong.

If you take the side cover off (after shutting off and removing power cord), you should be able to see a ribbon cable going from the floppy to the motherboard.

Make certain it is secure.

Close it all up and boot into BIOS and change the A: drive to 3.5", if you have that choice. If you haven't any B: drive, remove it.

The A: drive can also be listed as 1.44MB.

OR, take it back to that shop and explain it to them and do not leave without it. It shouldn't take but 10 minutes to fix, if all else is OK.

I hope his helps.

DR

#3 aet9rat6

aet9rat6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Ok I will look into this,, and get back to you the results. I was thinking for some reason the ram showed up as a floopy. Not sure why I thought that. But thanks for your advice.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

I was thinking for some reason the ram showed up as a floopy.

That's plain impossible.

As rigacci suggested, make sure the floppy drive controller in the BIOS points to a 3.5" drive.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

They may have had problems installing the memory and Reset the Cmos settings this would cause the bios to revert to default settings. This could be why the settings are wrong now.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users