Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot access the specified file path to ...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 emteeone

emteeone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

i hope someone can help me on this... very frustrating.

Problem Description: Recently my laptop stopped opening all files. pdf, exe
I use Firefox most of the time but also Google Chrome and sometimes IE.

Browsers will go thru the process of downloading the files but when I try to save or run it ... I get "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Then when I clic OK .. I get a Launch application window open for PPCNVCOM.EXE to choose an application to open it. I don't know what to do with that?

I just dont know what to do. I think I have tried everything but obviously not. Also have tried forums online looking for a solution, but every option requires a file to be downloaded and I cannot open any files successfully.

Word documents open ok. But any exe files just will not open, so even if I download something I can't open it anyway. Now pdf files will open Adobe but with the same pop up window... "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I have checked, actually I have reset all the system defaults but without improvement.

Please make some suggestion
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium

Mike T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

Open Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Security

Are each of the 4 zones set to Default level, and not Custom level?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users