Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TS-H552D will not read DVD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ram53

Ram53

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

This cd drive will read a blank CD, DVD. It will burn a CD and DVD. It will read a burnt CD, DVD. However it will not read an install CD or a movie DVD. I get the same thing in XP, this is a dual boot. Any ideas, I have searched the net and have not found a workable solution.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

A firmware upgrade or reinstall might fix that. But whether that is available and possible for you to flash is something else.

A replacement can be had for about $40-50, so it is hard to justify spending too much time resolving it.

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 Ram53

Ram53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:24 AM

I've tried all that and right now i'm unemployed so I can't afford to buy a new drive and I'd like to get this one working. I have searched all over the net an I notice many people are having the same type of problems.

Thanks anyway

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

Have you tried cleaning the lens...or removing the upper/lower filters?

Upper & Lower Filters - http://delltrain.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/...d-lower-filter/

Although a routine procedure which seems to solve various optical drive problems...the above involves editing the registry. At the minimum, any user preparing to do so...should back up the registry before proceeding with the attempted edit. An excellent tool for doing such is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html.

Louis

#5 Ram53

Ram53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Yes, I have done all that already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users