Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

quick fix to fake security virus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 owlie12

owlie12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:45 PM

does anyone know if there's a quick fix to the fake windows security virus? my dad got it on his work computer and he really doesn't want to deal with sending it into IT for a week. so far we tried to run spybot, super anti spyware, and malwarebytes, and they're all installed but none will run. we have it in safe mode now and it still isn't running. i've seen some stuff regarding combo fix, but none of us are experienced enough to want to risk messing the system up. by quick fix, a day or two would be fine if we knew it would be back to normal at the end of that.

ok, thanks...can anyone REALLY help us? i have it running in safe mode now, but none of the standard spybot-esque programs will open. somone suggested stopping all the associated processes in the task manager, but we don't know what to look for. a lot of sites say 8 digit numbers, but i don't have any of them running. the virus is still there though, because i have something in windows explorer that says "security center" that can't be removed. smitfraud was able to run twice and found nothing both times. i'm banging my head against a wall

Edited by garmanma, 03 January 2010 - 10:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 koolkev

koolkev

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

Yes I have the same issues. Computer will not let me open spybot, or my super anti spyware or my smit fraud application. I have this security alert that pops up and is asking me to enabled it to remove this virus called " backdoor win 32 agent .ich. help!!

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:51 AM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer,

Now that your post has been moved to the Am I Infected section of the forum, you should be able to get some help getting the system cleaned up.

I cannot help much, but to get you started I thought I would just guide you to a program that should let you run Malwarebytes. Just click on the link I will put at the end of my post and then follow the directions posted in post #2 that was posted by Boopme.

For Owlie, if you get Malwarebytes to run, post your log back in this topic that you started here.

Btw, that was a good decision you made about not running Combofix, check out the warning about that program that is in blue writing at the top of this page.

For KoolKev, start your own topic in this section of the forum, state what problems your computer is having and post your Malwarebytes log in that post.

Good luck, someone should be along soon to help you out further.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/283567/antimalware2009-malwaredefense-infection-cant-open-malwarebytes-at-all-to-remove/

Edited by Stang777, 03 January 2010 - 03:05 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:56 AM

The best way, although not very quick is to submit a DDS / HJT log

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

You will also be instructed to create a Root Repeal Log

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

The HJT team is very busy and it will take awhile to get to your post
Please be patient and good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 koolkev

koolkev

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hey guys i know this sounds stupid, but where do post the note pad log from the scans that i performed?

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:55 PM

Hi KoolKev,

To start your own topic, just click on the button above the first post in this thread that says "New Topic". There you can state what problems your computer is having and post your logs in that post. To post your log there, just copy it from Notepad and paste it in the post.

#7 koolkev

koolkev

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

Ok, I have posted my logs in the form and I have been able to eliminate some a few of the virus, but something is still not letting me run any of my virus programs, such as SpyBot, Malaware or Avira. Any suggestions??

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:20 AM

No, I cannot give you any further suggestions because instead of posting your log in this section of the forum, you posted a HijackThis log in the HijackThis forum, therefore I cannot help you and you should not make further changes to your system until you receive help there.

It can take about 2 weeks before you can get help in that forum.

If you would rather try to get help in this section of the forum, you could send a private message to one of the moderators and ask them to close your HijackThis topic and repost all but your HijackThis log in a new topic in this section of the forum, where you can maybe get some help sooner. Do not post a HijackThis log in this section of the forum.

However, I do not know what virus you have which means I do not know if you need the kind of help that you can only receive in the other section of the forum, so it might be best to just leave your log there and wait it out.

One thing I did notice that might delay getting a response in that other section of the forum is, you made a second post in that thread in order to post your Malwarebytes log. That means it will look to the team there that you are already getting help as a second post has been made. If you decide to wait it out to get help there, you might want to send a message to a moderator asking them to remove your second post or merge it with your first post there.

Since finding your post that includes a Malwarebytes log, I can see that you were able to run Malwarebytes, and I see that you have infetections from the rogue AdwarePro (Malwarebytes is the recommended program to get rid of it) as well as some Vundo viruses that your Malwarebytes log shows were removed.

Was it after that scan that you were not able to run Malwarebytes? If you ran that scan after you posted the above post, is your computer running better"

Please post back here with the answer to the above questions as well as telling me which section of the forum you decided you want to get help in.

Edited by Stang777, 07 January 2010 - 01:53 AM.

#9 koolkev

koolkev

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

Yes I am sorry as to posting in the wrong forum, its a bit confusing to us newbies. Anyway I have good news. I followed the instructions from Grinler on removing the virus that kept popping up (Total security2009 virus). Its was critical to me to stop the virus processes from running and running rkill did the trick. I then was able to open Malware and it ran and cleaned up over 18 infection. After the reboot I ran Spybot and it found another 6. I then was able to open Avira and now I am running well and will run Malware and Spy bot to stay current. This a is a great site and saved me a visit to the repair shop......Thanks so much

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

You are very welcome and I am very glad to hear you got it handled and things are better. I would run another scan (full scan) with Malwarebytes and follow that up by scanning with SuperAntiSpyware which you can get at SuperAntiSpyware.com.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users