Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I got something bad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reaper1nblack

reaper1nblack

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

I think my computer caught something really bad. To start, first the computer totally froze. I couldn't get it to do anything. So first thought I had was hit the power button. First I'm running Windows xp. When I tried to reboot I got a flash of blue screen the "welcome" screen then It went to a black screen the one with "safe mode, safe mode with network ect." Itried all of the options on the screen. All It would do was constant reboot cycle.
I took it to the shop and the tech couldn't get it to start either. I asked him just to put a new hard drive in and load Windows xp (I don't have access to a disk). I did this because I want to retrieve some of the stuff on the old hard drive. It has several pictures and documents that I really need to save. The tech was going to try to slave the old hard drive into the computer but every time he accesses it it crashes the computer. Is there anyway I can get the stuff I need off of the old hard drive.
Thank you very much,
If anyone knows what was wrong with the old hard drive would someone let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reaper1nblack

reaper1nblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Anybody got any ideas?

#3 trev47

trev47

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

If the old drive is still connected as a slave you can try checking the disk for errors. You would do this by start --> Run and press enter. Type the following into the run dialogue box:
chkdsk e: /f /r

e represents the drive letter assigned to the old drive.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:33 AM

The tech was going to try to slave the old hard drive into the computer but every time he accesses it it crashes the computer.

You could try this ...
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/

BUT ... my first thought is "possible hard drive failure" ..... so my recommendation is to play it safe and create a sector by sector image (clone) on a good hard drive, to give you the best chance to recover your data. You may then be able to recover your data safely; you may even be able to boot from the cloned image and use your original OS if you are lucky?
There are many ways to carry out the task, but the following contains excellent advice:
DjLizard's data recovery guide
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Data_Recovery
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 reaper1nblack

reaper1nblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll try this tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users