Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashing after Internet Security 2010 Removed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zaner123

zaner123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

I had the Internet Security 2010 virus on my computer, along with other trojans and what not, but I have completed removed them (as far as I know). I used rkill.exe to end the malicious processes then I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, it took about 30 crashes/reboots before I could finally get good scan results. I tried to use the program to remove the infections automatically, but that only ended in more crashing. So I used the scan results and manually removed what I thought were the most problematic infections - then Malwarebytes' was able to remove the rest.

At this point scans come up clean so I have no reason to believe there is any residual infection left on my computer, but my computer hangs/crashes no matter what I do. I tried swapping out the ram in my computer and that seemed to help for a time, but now it's worse than ever. It seems as if my computer crashes based on time - not workload. For about 15 minutes after rebooting my computer I can do pretty much anything and it works quick as usual. Then it hangs by the simplest command such as minimizing a window. If I leave my computer on and do nothing for hours, it is usually frozen by the time I get back.

I would do a system restore, but the restore points got deleted.

PCPitstop full tests show no major errors. My drivers are up to date. My hard drive is new. I've tried different ram configurations (but have entirely new ram on order).

So far I have had to manually shut down my computer (by holding the power button on the front) about 75 times. Each reboot I try to fix something else but nothing is helping. Also, I can't access safe mode.

Thank you for any help.

An update - I tried to use system restore to restore back a few days, tho still after I got the virus (since past restore points have been deleted, and It seems to be stuck.

The bar that indicated progress has not had any progress for about an hour now. I'll wait a couple more hours, but how long should it take? What happens if it is stuck?

Edited by garmanma, 02 January 2010 - 11:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twindaddy66

Twindaddy66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

I had the same virus...did the same removal steps, now my system will not boot past the "select user" screen. Once I select a user, it says "loading personal settings" then logs off immediately. I cannot get it to boot in any type of safe mode, nor to the last known settings that worked.....this is the second major virus in two months, and I use Symantec religiously.....last one cost me a new HD...now this...thanks Symantec.....

any help would be appreciated as well.....

#3 zaner123

zaner123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

It cost you a "new HD"? What does that mean?

-Nevermind I realized that must mean HDD Harddrive Disk.

At one point in the removal process of the virus I wasn't able to load my desktop either.. but it eventually did load again.

I've also had many infections in the past, but nothing this bad.

Edited by zaner123, 02 January 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#4 zaner123

zaner123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:40 AM

To be clear -- There is no infection left on my computer.

My topic was moved to this forum, not entirely sure why.

The issue is that my computer crashes. Maybe registry errors, maybe something physical, that's what I'm hoping to get help with.

Not an infection.

Thanks

#5 ThePcGeek2

ThePcGeek2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:46 AM

2010 remains in your PC, get a copy of pen-drive-linux and boot off a USB drive, select NTFS read/write mode.
Then repair the PC by removing all that junk out of c:\windows\system32

See
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010
for the files that have been deposited on your system
c:\s
c:\Program Files\InternetSecurity2010
c:\Program Files\InternetSecurity2010\IS2010.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\41.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\winhelper86.dll
c:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon86.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\winupdate86.exe

There are a few more files that are not included in that document
They are:
c:\windows\system32\AVR10.exe
c:\windows\system32\critical_warning.html
c:\windows\system32\logon.exe (This is malware, Windows has a file called winlogon.exe don't delete that)

You will have to repair your registry after you have done all that. There is a program available on this site to do that.

If you can't get on the NET after you get the machine back up
1.Click on Start button.
2.Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
3.Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
4.Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
5.Restart the computer.

The-PC-Geek
PS: The last 50 machines I worked on with that problem also had c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys hijacked too. That would stop you from logging in after removing the malware. Use Linux to replace that file with a good one.

Edited by ThePcGeek2, 03 January 2010 - 01:56 AM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:49 AM

Once I select a user, it says "loading personal settings" then logs off immediately.

@ Twindaddy66
Your current LogOn/LogOff Loop situation will most likely be overcome by following the instructions here ....
Fix Windows XP LogOn/LogOff Loop ..... thinkinginpixels
http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...onlog-off-loop/

Please, if you need further help, create your own new thread: It is difficult to help two people with different problems in the one thread.
(PM me if you do create a new thread and wish me to have a look at it.)
Best of luck
'Alien

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 January 2010 - 03:50 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:07 AM

I have had to manually shut down my computer (by holding the power button on the front) about 75 times.

@ zaner123
Please do the following to start with ...

Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check (C: drive/your System drive) > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
  • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
  • This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
  • If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat "Check Disk".
How does your system behave after running Check Disk?
---------------------
You wrote: "I tried to use system restore .......... The bar that indicated progress has not had any progress for about an hour now. I'll wait a couple more hours, but how long should it take? What happens if it is stuck?"
If it has not completed after 3 hours ... you have no alternative but to press the OFF button.

Do you have a Windows installation CD, just in case you need it?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#8 zaner123

zaner123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:14 AM

I may have found some luck. I changed some of the start up settings and my computer has been running for about an hour now without it crashing.

This was after I was forced to shut off my computer during the recovery process - since it froze.

I'll do that checkdisk test tonight.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users