I'm using CDs instead of a thumb drive because I'm ultra paranoid about transfering something from the infected computer to the one I'm using
I hate to tell you this, but you can transfer a virus with a CD
When you said to kill all tasks through the Applications window on Task Manager, I only have known applications running
This is how an infection spreads, it latches on to a legitimate Microsoft file and hides
Download this to the working computer, plug in a thumb drive and run it
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe
by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.
- Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
- The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
- Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
- Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
- Reboot your computer when done.
You can then download the OTL log to your thumb drive safely
You will need to use the log and start a new topic in our HJT forumhttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
There they will help you with the removal through some custom scripts and programs that we cannot run here in this forum
Just be sure to tell them that you could not run any of the other tools.
Add a link to this threadThe HJT team is extremely busy, so There can be a wait of up to 2 weeks. Please be patient and good luck
why won't my laptop work?
Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time aroundDo not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook