Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Endless reboot, fake security warning, safe mode doesnt work

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 EvanTheMagician

EvanTheMagician

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hi everyone

I am having trouble with one of our laptops. I was running a few virus scans the other day as I realized it there was Google Redirections, fake virus security centers, and security center pop ups in the system tray. A fake virus center kept popping up as a program on the computer, and the internet would not work when this was open.

I tried to run more scans but nothing would open, no programs, no task manager, etc. in order to fix this. Nothing was working, so I shut off the computer. This was a big mistake as when I went to turn it on, it will not boot. It goes into an endless reboot state and flashes a blue screen for a second, not long enough for me to read, before it goes back into rebooting.

None of the safe mode options work, and Last Known Configuration option does not work, the computer just endlessly reboots and will not start up. I really need to get this fixed, as we purchased a warranty for the laptop, but they will not work at all.
I have tried everything and nothing seems to be working, the computer will just not boot up.

I burned an ISO of Puppy Linux after reading about this online and I could boot to that from the CD, from there I could see everything was still intact on my hard drive but it still will not boot windows. I thought about getting an external hard drive enclosure to take the stuff from that drive and put it onto another computer until I can get this fixed.

I am running out of things to try and hope someone can help. thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

Could you please tell us what your OS is, main antivirus program , and exactly which scans you were running (have tried to run).That might give appropriate information to know what to suggest for you

#3 EvanTheMagician

EvanTheMagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

It has Windows xp, I use AVG free mainly, and st the time I was trying to run MBAM and AdwareSE personal.

Thank you

#4 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

To regain access to your computer may I suggest you try this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/

Recovery Console tutorial located here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/

you will need your Windows XP CD to do this

Can you please confirm that the version of AdwareSE personal you are running does NOT have any antivirus properties?

#5 EvanTheMagician

EvanTheMagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

I have tried this, it does not work. Same endless boot still happens, cannot boot normally or into safe mode.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:10 AM

A fake virus center kept popping up as a program on the computer

Do your remember the exact name of this particular fake anti-virus program?
Have a look, if you need to check what you think you saw, here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/

Please get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death).
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start. Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.

Also, please do the following ...
Boot up with Puppy and have a look in this location C:\WINDOWS\system32 <<< folder
for the following files. Let me know if they are present or not.
winlogon.exe
userinit.exe
logonui.exe

Likewise at this location C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers <<< folder
for the following file
atapi.sys
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

Hi Evanthemagician
Found your topic last night after my son had the same thing occur. I am not an expert but thought I would tell you what he did to correct this.
He had a similar problem in October. Then we did a search and found a post by Andrew Choe. “ Cannot start my windows XP” If you look at Post #19 of this topic by Trillogy he links to an article about XP repair, That link doesn’t seem to work any more but I had bookmarked it and the bookmark seems to work
http://www.informationweek.com/shared/prin...cleID=189400897
This worked for my son in October and again last night. I don't know if you will have similar results.
Again I am not an expert, just a member, and I thought I would pass this along
Best regards
Nawtheasta

#8 EvanTheMagician

EvanTheMagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

The fake virus program was Anti Spyware Shield pro

winlogon.exe
userinit.exe
logonui.exe

When I tried going to that system32 on Puppy, it would start to work, then give me a black screen and just stop working. I tried to get to it multiple times but each time it did not work.

Sorry that I cant check for the files.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

Please get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death).
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start. Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.

Please let us know what BSOD error message you see when doing the above.

Edit: In reply to roadclosed, above, you wrote: "I have tried this, it does not work."
What exactly have you tried? What does not work? What happened exactly when you "tried this"?

Re: Puppy falling over
That is not a good sign.
Were you simply attempting to browse the contents of your hard drive when this happens? I presume you were not trying to do anything else at the time. Try unmounting the drive.
Then mount the drive and try again.
If Puppy is not able to browse the hard drive files, that is indicating a serious NTFS file system problem.
I would expect if that was the case, then you would not be able to use an XP installation CD to load the Recovery Console .... or do anything else .... either?

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 January 2010 - 08:56 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 EvanTheMagician

EvanTheMagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

I tried doing -
" Disk Diagnostic
- CHKDSK /F /R (try to boot)
- fixmbr (try to boot)
- fixboot (try to boot)
- Safe Mode (try to boot)" from that page.
The command prompt stuff worked, but I was still unable to boot. I mean each command finished and completed, but I was unable to boot still. The only command that would not work was "CHKDSK /F"

Unmounting and mounting, it still gives me a black screen when I go to system32. I managed to search for the files in that folder though, it has:
winlogon.exe
userinit.exe
logonui.exe
atapi.sys
It has all 4 files in it.

The error is:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you;ve seen this Stop Error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x00000023 (0x001902FE, 0xF78D9378, 0XF78D9074, 0x87066805)

Thank you.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:24 AM

The only command that would not work was "CHKDSK /F"

That's OK: chkdsk /f does not work from the Recovery Console (it only works from within Windows). From the RC, use chkdsk /p to do the same job.

Did you complete a "disk diagnostic" of the hard drive? What diagnostic utility was used? Did the result show any hard drive errors at all?

0x00000023: FAT_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within a read or write to a FAT16 or FAT32 file system drive. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of FASTFAT.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions

Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

I remain unclear about whether you have actually run chkdsk /r
This is a 5 stage process, and will take a little time (in some cases, a lot of time). It will scan the hard drive surface and attempt to fix errors as well as fix file system errors (it includes the functions of chkdsk /p)

I would like you to confirm that you have successfully completed running chkdsk /r from the RC.
If you have not done so, I would like you to do that now.

Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP CD (or an XP Recovery Console .ISO image that has been burned to CD).
  • Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to. (EvanTheMagician: Please let me know what options you see at this stage.) If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press the <ENTER> key. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt. (Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.)
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
  • This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:49 AM

AustraAlien

remain unclear about whether you have actually run chkdsk /r
This is a 5 stage process, and will take a little time (in some cases, a lot of time). It will scan the hard drive surface and attempt to fix errors as well as fix file system errors (it includes the functions of chkdsk /p)

To add some hopefully relevent information for EvanTheMagician as to the time- scale of running this proceedure I have located this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941

Rather than attempt to predict how long CHKDSK will take to run for a given volume on a given hardware platform, suffice to say that it can take anywhere from a few seconds to several days -- depending on your specific situation.

#13 EvanTheMagician

EvanTheMagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

I have run chkdsk /r a few times and yes it has taken a long time in all the times I ran it. After I ran it, and it finished, I exited and tried to reboot-but it still does not work.

I do not know of any Disk diagnostic checks, so I just skipped that part of the repair. Everything else I ran, besides the disk diagnostic and the chkdsk /f.

Thank you.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:47 AM

:trumpet: Please ensure that you have removed any unnecessary external devices from the system.
Disconnect or remove any other hard drive that may be connected to this system: This includes internal secondary/slave hard drives, external USB (or other hard drives), USB flashdrives etc.

Try booting the system now.

:flowers: If your laptop is a Dell it will have diagnostics built in and accessible from a menu on bootup. (If it is a HP, it might also have its own diagnostics too.)
You can use these diagnostics if applicable, to run a full test of the hard drive: Otherwise continue reading ....

If there is only the one hard drive connected and it still fails to boot with the STOP 0x23 error, you should check that your hard drive is not failing.
Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test, and check the S.M.A.R.T. status.

Find the brand name of your hard drive. You will find this info on the label of the hard drive (most likely you will have to remove the hard drive from the box to read the label). You will also find sufficient info to identify the drive (the model number) by looking in the BIOS Setup Menu.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If you have trouble identifying your hard drive manufacturer, use the Hitachi diagnostic utility: It will work with most hard drives.

:thumbsup:

A problem occurred within a read or write to a FAT16 or FAT32 file system drive.

The problem lies within a "FAT16 or FAT32 file system drive", which is a little unusual, in that I would be expecting your Windows system to be on an NTFS file system drive. How many hard disk drives are connected? What partitions (drives) are present on those HDDs? What file system is employed on each of those drives?

It sounds like a fairly new laptop ... in which case I would be expecting the Windows XP system to be on an NTFS file system drive, and perhaps an OEM Recovery Partition with a FAT32 file system.

Please provide all the details that you can about the laptop: Make model and whatever you know about it.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 EvanTheMagician

EvanTheMagician
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

I ran this from BIOS....my HP has the option to run the tests directly there.

The SHORT test and the LONG test both failed. I have no option to check the SMART.

The laptop is an HP dv5000 with BIOS version F.42, AMD turion 64 Proecessor.

EDIT: There was only ever 1 hard drive on the laptop, with 2 partitions, one recovery partition that I cannot access and one with the normal C drive files.

This doesnt make sense to me as I could still see the files in Puppy when I went to the folders on the drive. **Is there any way I can hook up my external drive, boot into Puppy and copy some of my files from that C drive folder to the external drive? I just want to see if I can save this, I dont have money for a new computer at the moment.

Thank you.

Edited by EvanTheMagician, 05 January 2010 - 09:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users