Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new computer amd?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 granmaf

granmaf

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:14 AM

i would like to build a computer, i currently have a dell dimension 4100,Pent lll,1ghz, 133mhz cache 256kb, memory 384, os win me,all in wonder 9700 pro video card,altec lansing thx with subroofer, & wireless network

considering amd but don't know what is more power in that line. would like more than i have now.already have a abit kw7 motherboard any recommendation on processor amd, ps,case etc.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:55 AM

too bad about board. i woulda went with an Asus 64 bit board, from here you can decide if you wanna stay with agp (a8v-deluxe) or go sli, (a8n-sli) or just pci express(a8n-e). whatever you do, stay with a 939 pin (amd) this way you can fluxuate from an AMD 3000+ to an FX-55 or better.start small, gradually update to a top notch 939 pin AMD proc. all their higher end boards (939 pin) support goodies like dual-chanell ram , some have integrated 802.11g onboard, their utilities are nice too, dual nics with built in cable testers! I had an A8V-deluxe, but decided to go with the A8N-sli-Deluxe because it supported pci-e sli, this was an option i wanted as a gamer, i also bought 3 raptors for making my raid 0 for fast data access , and 2 gigs of dual channel ram by geil. the only bummer about my setup, is ATI does not make sli-able cards. So i was forced to make a decision about Nvidia or ATI. I much prefer ATI and shoulda waited until they came out with their dual core line. but, you cant wait when you are in the mad dash for the biggest and the best now can ya! lots of luck with your decisions, (get rid of the abit)
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 granmaf

granmaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:36 AM

i just ordered the abit board do they take it back,if i change my mind? i am not into the games, so do you still think i should change and go with the asus. i mainly want speed and more memory. i do photo and word documents and enjoy the music. this is new for me and i have a desire to build my own, enjoy the challenge of it all
thanks for info,

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:48 PM

Your motherboard wont really reflect your speed, but your compatibility that will give you speed and power.

#5 granmaf

granmaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

how do i do this? sorry i'm not to to good at this yet. is the processor what gives you the speed. what should i look for in the amd line. i've only had intel computer and would like to see how amd is.
thanks for your help

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

in this area, you should think about the future, for starters i sell abit asus and gigabyte boards. i suggested an asus because from my experience selling repairing upgrading returning computers/such , i have grown to like asus for its solid name in all areas. i said 64 bit ;amd; 939 pin, 64 bit is a new architexture, and until the new 64 bit os come into mainstream, you won't get the full effect of the improvements, however i have noticed an improvement in multitasking.the 939 pin is the higher end proc for amd and their best chip is a 939 pin. so even if you start off with a 3000+, it gives you a lot of room for advancement. the boards i suggested will support up to 4 gigs of dual channel ram upwards to a fsb of 800mhz. the will support your agp, BUT i strongly suggest you take the pci express board, dump your vid and get a comparable x-600 or 800, again think about the future, even non-gamers will be able to take advantage of the pci-e, or even better sli. depends on the graphic company of your choice, nvidia or ati. i would just stick to pci-e not the sli-able board (simply 2 pci-e slots for use with exact same pci-e vid card to harness power of both cards), ati has dual core cards out or coming out soon, anyway , one piece of advise to sum it all up, gets lots of info, and think about possible future upgrades, buy good backbone to allow it later.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#7 granmaf

granmaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

thanks snapper
i am going to take advice,sounds good to me after comparing them. will let you know how i make out
thanks so much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users