Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsupported 16-bit application

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pam54

pam54

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hello All, Happy New Year.
I have a new laptop at last and it has Windows 7. I've been doing quite well with all the new features but have hit a problem trying to load my family tree programme. It won't load and I get the message: 'Unsupported 16-bit application. The programme or feature "\??\E:\Setup.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatability with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.'

Will this mean I have to buy a new programme or may there be some sort of upgrade? I have tried to contact the company but they are still on Christmas holiday. If I have to upgrade will I still be able to use all the data I have got saved when using the old laptop and family tree? Sorry if this sounds basic to you but it is way beyond me. All my other programmes have loaded with no problem.
Best wishes.
Pam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

You can try the Compatibility mode
http://www.w7forums.com/application-compat...-mode-t314.html
You can even try this
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 pam54

pam54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

I tried your first suggestion and that won't work but I have read your second and think that is the way to go. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks very much for the help, much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users