Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Attempts on XP Media Center Edition unsucessful

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 grayson4

grayson4

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

BSOD two months ago. I've tried a few things, and nothing worked, so I followed the instructions given from the Windows website.

I did these steps:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

However, when I got to the copy c: windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\software...it could not be found.
I went ahead with the rest of the steps just to see what would happen, and when I exited Recovery mode (I have it on my computer, since I don't have the recovery CD or original installation CD)...I tried to start in Safe mode, or Last Good Configuration. Neither one works. I get this message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

My main problem is that I don't have any of the original CDs, however I do have a new laptop that I've purchased since the computer crashed 2 months ago. I would love to be able to recover the files from the broken computer before I do anything drastic to the hardrive. If I cannot, then that's fine, but I would love to get this computer working again. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

Download and create a set of boot disks from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...94...duct=winxp

Then boot using the disks and follow the instructions you previously posted, or have a good read through the link i've posted !

Hope this helps you ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Blunt answer is...you need either an XP Media Center Edition (2005) CD...or you need to obtain the recovery/restore disks which came with the system.

You need the missing Windows XP system file to have any hope of booting into MCE again, from what I read.

As for moving data files...just slave the hard drive to another system and move the files from your drive. If you prefer, you can use a USB-connection with the drive placed in an enclosure. Or you could use some linux application to do the same thing.

Louis

#4 maxyg

maxyg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

I have the same problem. Does anyone know a legal way to get the CD? It came installed on the computer and I don't think we got one. The computer is out of warranty.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

Have you tried the manufacturer of the system (Dell, HP, eMachines, etc.)?

Warranty considerations are not the concern here.

Louis

#6 maxyg

maxyg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

I did they required my key code and locked me out because I am out of warranty. Very annoying.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Selling recovery/restore CDs has now become a part of the landscape...suited for your purposes.

Louis

#8 grayson4

grayson4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

Blunt answer is...you need either an XP Media Center Edition (2005) CD...or you need to obtain the recovery/restore disks which came with the system.

You need the missing Windows XP system file to have any hope of booting into MCE again, from what I read.

As for moving data files...just slave the hard drive to another system and move the files from your drive. If you prefer, you can use a USB-connection with the drive placed in an enclosure. Or you could use some linux application to do the same thing.

Louis

How exactly do I slave the hard drive? I know what the USB is, but I don't know what kind of enclosure to use...and I know this sounds dumb, but I don't understand how I'd get the drive in it? Will I have to rip apart the computer? I'm sorry, I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.
Thank you so much for being patient with me.

#9 grayson4

grayson4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

Download and create a set of boot disks from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...94...duct=winxp

Then boot using the disks and follow the instructions you previously posted, or have a good read through the link i've posted !

Hope this helps you ! :thumbsup:

When I clicked the link, there was only a message that says "Sorry, but we couldn't find the page that you requested"

#10 maxyg

maxyg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

We have a Dell Dimension E510. Does that mean someone can legally get us new discs at a lesser cost?

Edited by maxyg, 03 January 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#11 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

Try this link then ! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#12 flex-it services

flex-it services

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

I would love to be able to recover the files from the broken computer before I do anything drastic to the hardrive

I use one of these on a daily bases IDE/SATA to USB Adaptor

(I hope this is okay to say, and not too technical?)

If you feel comfortable doing this! And there is always room for error/failure.

Take out your old hard drive, Plug in the adapter, and plug the "USB" end into your "new computer"

It then acts like an "external drive" where you can copy your files from one "drive" area to another. There's no need to run an operating system.

Files are stored based in different places depending on the operating system.

XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\
My Documents
Desktop
Favorites (from Internet Explorer if you use that for your Browser)

(if you use Outlook for your email)

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst (unless otherwise named or stored differently)
(local settings are hidden files, you will need to make sure that "show hidden files" is turned on)

Vista and Windows 7:

C:\Users\username\

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst (unless otherwise named or stored differently)
(local settings are hidden files, you will need to make sure that show hidden files is turned on)

Please keep in mind, this is not a method for copying programs. You will have to reinstall those.

I'm sure this is total common scense to most folks. But i know that there are some folks that this is new to. I hope it's helpful and doesn't cause problems.
~~~
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

#13 grayson4

grayson4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

I would love to be able to recover the files from the broken computer before I do anything drastic to the hardrive

I use one of these on a daily bases IDE/SATA to USB Adaptor

(I hope this is okay to say, and not too technical?)

If you feel comfortable doing this! And there is always room for error/failure.

Take out your old hard drive, Plug in the adapter, and plug the "USB" end into your "new computer"

It then acts like an "external drive" where you can copy your files from one "drive" area to another. There's no need to run an operating system.

Files are stored based in different places depending on the operating system.

XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\
My Documents
Desktop
Favorites (from Internet Explorer if you use that for your Browser)

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst (unless otherwise named or stored differently)
(local settings are hidden files, you will need to make sure that "show hidden files" is turned on)

Please keep in mind, this is not a method for copying programs. You will have to reinstall those. [/b]

I'm sure this is total common scense to most folks. But i know that there are some folks that this is new to. I hope it's helpful and doesn't cause problems.

Thank you! This sounds like something I might be able to do. I had a question about something I've been told in regards to using CDs to fix my computer. UBCD4WIN, Puppy Linux, and Clonezilla have been suggested to me for fixing the computer and/or recovering the data. Unfortunately it seems incredibly complicated to build these CDs, especially since most of them require the original XP cd, which I don't have (and if I did then I wouldn't need their help, hah).

If I bought an adapter, I would take the hard drive and actually hook it up to my new laptop and transfer the files that I want to save to the new laptop, right?
Would any viruses that are on the bad hard drive transfer to my new laptop? That would be bad. I basically just want to recover my two sons baby pictures and possibly some music. Programs dont matter to me, but the pictures are so important.
Could you explain more to me?
Thank you SO much.

#14 flex-it services

flex-it services

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

If I bought an adapter, I would take the hard drive and actually hook it up to my new laptop and transfer the files that I want to save to the new laptop, right?

Yes. Though i suggest you being familar with taking apart a laptop. Its *usually* found on the bottom. Though depending on the make/model of the laptop.

(the adaptor should come with instructions for hooking up the different types of laptops) - Be sure not to bend any pins if you're using an older hard drive.

Would any viruses that are on the bad hard drive transfer to my new laptop?

Yes or No. Depending.

I recommend you "Scan" the drive first with an anti virus software. (Check with the different forums for the best suggested ones. (That might start a whole other tread, keep that in mind also)
Scan the drive first. Just like you would any Thumb drive (Flash drive),

After you've scanned it then find your pictures and Music.

In XP:
Your Music is usually found in:
Your My Documents \ Music Folder
If you use iTunes, it'll be buried in Music\iTunes\iTunes Music
You may have saved your music in other places. Check around the drive (after you've scanned it) to see where they might have gone.
Your pictures are in My Documents \ My Pictures (unless you put them in different places)

When using the adapter, you will not be able to transfer any programs.

For the future, if pictures are VERY important to you, consider an online file backup company like:
Carbonite $54.95/year
iDrive (Link to their prices)

Or some other places that i'm sure the fellow BC members could suggest!

Blessings
~~~
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

#15 grayson4

grayson4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

Yes. Though i suggest you being familar with taking apart a laptop. Its *usually* found on the bottom. Though depending on the make/model of the laptop.

(the adaptor should come with instructions for hooking up the different types of laptops) - Be sure not to bend any pins if you're using an older hard drive.

I'm actually trying to get the files from an HP Pavilion a1310n PC...and put it onto an HP G60 Pentium. I hope the fact that my old PC was XP Media Edition will still work eventhough I'm using Windows 7 with the laptop. Very nervous about that.

I recommend you "Scan" the drive first with an anti virus software. (Check with the different forums for the best suggested ones. (That might start a whole other tread, keep that in mind also)
Scan the drive first. Just like you would any Thumb drive (Flash drive),

I'm using mcafee and ad-aware. Hopefully that's enough.

For the future, if pictures are VERY important to you, consider an online file backup company like:
Carbonite $54.95/year
iDrive (Link to their prices)

Or some other places that i'm sure the fellow BC members could suggest!

I'm probably going to print all my photos if I can get them back. Having hard copies will definitely help, and then I think I'll transfer them to CDs. Best bet.
Thank you so very much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users