Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no System file in the repair folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scottywaady

scottywaady

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

I followed this article on restoring windows\system32\config\system

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

when I went to copy the file from the repair folder:
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

it's not there.

FYI, I was trying to rid this machine of the SHeur2 virus and could not start in safe mode, error message: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME. but could start normally. I tried going back to a restore point, same thing.

Then a windows update rebooted my machine and it wouldn't boot at all. same message: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME.

I loaded the recovery console and ran chkdsk and fixboot. now it says windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing.

Monday I'm going to take the harddrive stick it in another machine to back up my stuff before a fresh install.

BUT I HATE GETTING STUMPED!!

is there another way?

Edited by scottywaady, 02 January 2010 - 11:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

Of course...the file (system) should be there. You actually took a look in the folder?

FWIW: Unmountable boot volume errors are generally hard drive errors, normal fix is to run chkdsk /r command. If chkdsk cannot fix, could be file system or hard drive problem.

If you have another system...why not just copy one from it?

From the MS link: If you have access to another computer, to save time, you can copy the text in step five, and then create a text file called "Regcopy1.txt" (for example). To use this file, run the following command when you start in Recovery Console: batch regcopy1.txt

Louis

#3 scottywaady

scottywaady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

I didn't look, I just couldn't copy it. The rest of the files were there and copied just fine.

I didn't know you could copy the system files from one system to another. I thought the reference in the help file was just to type out the commands to process as a batch????? not copy from the file from one system to another. Hmmmmm??? I think it says copy the TEXT not the file. I'm still learning though.

I'll look for it tomorrow after I hook it up to another system and run a virus scan on it. then I'll put it on a disk and copy it and see if that works. I'll probably do a fresh install anyway.

THANKS!

I know enough to REALLY screw up a computer but have learned enough look for answers and ask for help :thumbsup:

Edited by scottywaady, 03 January 2010 - 09:10 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:59 AM

You may be correct about my interpretation of the directions...but I don't see where you have anything to lose by trying it.

I've never tried to correct anything by the technique suggested...I have several paid for XP CDs and I suspsect that I would simply do a repair install of XP to correct the problem...I tend to take the easy way of attempting solutions at such problems :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users