Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp home edition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 allymac1690

allymac1690

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

hi there forum,, i loaded xp several times,, every time it boots up the data is on disc h,, is there any way that i can transfer this data from h to c,,,,,it is loading as disc h to be the main driver,can i change this to cdrive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

Yes, you can :thumbsup:.

First...system manufacturer and model?

What means did you use to install XP (MS Genuine XP CD, recovery/srestore CDs, etc.)?

When XP installs, it does a count of partitions already created. If there are any other partitions or supplementary drives (USB, flash, external, internal hard drives) attached...XP counts them. It then installs XP with the next drive letter available.

The typical way around this is (for me) to do a repair install with all miscellaneous drives temporarily disconnected...or remove the other drives, go into the XP Recovery Console and try the fixmbr command.

The letters cannot simply be changed, using Disk Management, because the C: letter cannot be reassigned this way. But removing/disconnecting the drive which currently sports C:...may result in C: being assigned to the proper drive simply by rebooting after removal of the partition/drive currently possessing C:.

What partition drive currently reflects the letter C:?

A graphic of your Disk Management would be useful, but not necessary. Start...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter, ti will show all drives/partitions as they are now.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users