Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu resolution cant get higher 640x480.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

Hello guys.
My Ubuntu can not go any higher then 640x480.
I have found out what the problem is.
The monitor has broken down (firmware or some thing) but still works fine in Windows.
How do i know this ?
Well a few mouths ago i was on Windows Me and one day it booted up saying that it is installing a default driver for the screen , so i let it do and after it did that it would never use the VA702 driver.
Also the resolution could get higher then 1280x1024(this is the screens biggest res).
A other mouth later i installed Windows XP and when using it i tried to install the VA702 driver but it did not work so i had to manually install it which worked but did not get correct resolutions e.g. could go higher than the monitor is meant to go.
Now in Ubuntu can't go higher then 640x480.
How can i fix this ?
Screen : ViewSonic VA702
Graphics Card : Winfast My Vivo A170 Geforce 4 MX 440 AGP 4x 64MB DDR
Ubuntu:9.10
Note* I am not going to buy a new monitor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Hey
I am not sure if you have tried this before, but I suggest you go to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

Enter your password if prompted and install the latest drivers for you monitor if they are there.

~powerjuce

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

There is no drivers for the monitor. Ubuntu would find out what monitor it is and install default driver but now the monitor wont work right.

#4 Willm

Willm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

I believe that if you use the command CTRL ALT + then the screen resolution will increase. Similar to if you want to make the screen resolution smaller use CTRL ALT -.

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

Ok i will try that.

I will to install it on a other hard drive so it wont cause problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users