Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retail or OEM , how can I tell???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Megaman1

Megaman1

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

Hi,

If I try to install a Retail version of XP onto a PC that originally had a "Royalty OEM" version of XP installed onto it, will my Retail version of XP work on my PC?

Is SLP info only stored on my "Royalty OEM CD" or is it also stored in the BIOS as well?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Megaman1

Megaman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

Hi,

How can I tell if I have an OEM or Retail Version of XP Pro installed on my PC, without looking at my XP CD or my COA sticker???

Thanks.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:01 PM

No part of any OS is stored in the BIOS

Royalty OEMs receive a ‘golden master’ copy of Windows from Microsoft. The royalty OEM may customize Windows as described in the OPK, their license agreement, or a signed addendum… These OEMs obtain all customized media, end-user manuals, and bulk quantities of COA stickers from MS authorized replicators.

Royalty OEMs may provide recovery media for each computer, and that media must be protected so that it can be used only on that particular computer. Both printed books and any recovery media display the OEM name and branding.

System-locked preinstallation (SLP) is an anti-piracy technology that helps prevent the copying of legitimately licensed operating system software onto non-licensed systems. SLP is available only to royalty OEMs.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=506
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Megaman1

Megaman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hi,

Are all Windows Retail, OEM and Upgrade CDs exactly the same, I mean do they all have the exact same data on each CD or does each CD have a serial number stored on the CDs data to some how prevent pirate copies?

Thanks.

#5 Megaman1

Megaman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:27 AM

Hi,

If I buy Windows XP Pro Retail, all data on any other Windows XP Pro Retail CD will have the EXACT same data on it as my OS CD right???

And the ONLY difference between my Windows XP Pro Retail purchase and anyone elses will be the Product Key right???

Please the more detailed answer the better.

Thanks.

EDIT: Merged both posts since they handle the same subject ~ Elise

Edited by elise025, 31 December 2009 - 08:53 AM.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:56 AM

:flowers:

If it is Offical Windows CD, yes, the same as any other Offical Windows CD. But not necessarily the same as HP, Compaq and many other Brand Computers' Disks.

Confusing? Yes, but that is the way it is. On Most Brand Name Disks the Drivers needed are also included for that specific Machine and will not allow you to install any other Version of Windows on it, by the Offical Windows Disk, because you can't find Drivers to suit.

I hope that clears it up?

:thumbsup:

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,703 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

If the ID number in the "Registered to:" section on the General tab of System Properties contains -OEM- then it is OEM Windows. I can't say off the top of my head if all OEM installs must contain this character string though.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users