Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

got a free computer . Apple

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 net2377

net2377

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:57 AM

just got a G3 apple ( the all in one setup). 1st Apple for me. fortunately it was free. it is a 4th computer in house. but would like to check it out.
asking for advise and general direction. have couple of specific ?s
OS is 8.x ...anything I can do with it?
has only 2 usb ports (1.0) and they are required for the keyboard and mouse....
appears processor at 133Mhz
can these computers be upgraded? (and is it worth it)
now that the ritalin has kicked in... Im looking for advise and insight on limitations and possibilities with this unit ie if only will be good for checking email and general browsing
so far do not understand why apple supposed to be user friendly and intuitive? but may just be me.
thanks in advance for any response.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:28 AM

Can be upgraded : Yes but it matters what you are trying to upgrade . Is it worth it : Well a cpu that has a FSB off 133 mhz is quite slow and old so no its not worth upgrading unless you are getting the parts for free.

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

Do you mean the iMac G3? I don't think Apple manufactured a 133mhz model.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1362
IDK what you can do with OS 8.x, it's kind of an old OS even for Macs. If you find out which version of the G3 you have you can find out which parts are upgradeable if you run a search for it on Google. Apple site should be one of the top hits for the model Mac you have. Everythingmac.com is another good site you might want to look at regarding your model Mac.

Just found this. http://guides.macrumors.com/iMac_G3

Edited by Buddyme2, 02 January 2010 - 10:11 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

yes you can upgrade the os to i think os x 10.2 i think is as far as you can go with the g3 considering the speed, you could try more ram, tell me what kind of g3 is it ie blue and white, server (etc.) also i have 4 macs one a g3, the others are g4s and the g3 is a blue and white in a marathon server rack, have fun with the g3 blue and whites they have a rep. of being "difficult" i think it is very worth it if you got it for free

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

The problem with the ports is easily remedied with a usb hub, which come with a variety of number of ports ( I have a 4 port hub for my laptop) and should be quite cheap.
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:30 PM

The problem with the ports is easily remedied with a usb hub, which come with a variety of number of ports ( I have a 4 port hub for my laptop) and should be quite cheap.

Also depending on which apple keyboard you have if you have on the mouse will plug into it and freeing up at least one more port!

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users