Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Antivirus Live

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:23 AM

This is the second time I have been infected by this specific virus and I must say it is quite devastating.

the first time I had to reformat, and now I really dont want to have to reformat.

this virus prevents any kind of file from opening, the only thing I could open was explorer (not IE, just windows explorer) and security center (the windows thing that says autmatic updates and firewall and stuff) it wouldnt even let me open my antivirus from the tray.

the first time I got it, I immediately shut my computer down, and because it was late, I went to bed, the next morning the computer wouldnt turn back on, even in safe mode, so I reformatted.

I am unable to post any kind of logs as I cannot get into any programs including task manager and dxdiag.

this is like the second week on my current install of windows so reformatting is still in question but I would prefer not to.

thank you in advance

EIDT: oh, and just so you dont blame me for doing this by, say, clicking on those fake pop-ups. I was talking to my friend on facebook while listening to music on pandora when this popped up. the first time I got it, I was writing an essay.

Edited by sausage, 02 January 2010 - 02:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

the computer wouldn't turn back on, even in safe mode, so I reformatted.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
If you reformatted, the virus should be gone
Do you mean you got reinfected again?
Are you able to get into safe mode w/networking and go online to download some scan tools?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:28 PM

yes, I am reinfected, hence the second time...

no I am not able to get into safe mode, this is exactly the same virus as last time and last time when I went into safe mode it blue screened but instead of the usual stop error it just said: -? in the top-left

#4 rj321

rj321

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

2 Questions. Using windows 7. In safe mode with networking, will I be able to update my malwares program? If not can I use a USB with an updated version of malwares in this mode. I am asking these questions in advance of getting antivirus live. Thanks . Great site.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

To ri321, yes to both questions
Please start your own topic to prevent any confusion

--------------------------------------

To Sausage
If you do not want to reformat, you can try a boot CD and use some of the tools to see if you can rescue it enough to run some scans

*** Please print these instructions ***
  • Download Hiren's BootCD Iso to the desktop of a clean computer.
  • Extract the zipped HirensBootCD.zip to your desktop.
  • Open the extracted HirensBootCD folder and extract the zipped HirensBootCD.iso.
  • Double click the BurnToCD.cmd bat file contained in the HirensBootCD folder. This will launch BurnCDCC.
  • Insert a blank CD in your drive.
  • Press Start. This will burn the image to disc. After it has completed...
  • Restart your sick computer and boot from the HBCD you created.
    • If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
      • Restart your PC
      • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, F10, F12 or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
      • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
      • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
      • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      • If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
      • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
    • Your PC should now boot from your CD.
    • Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
  • When the CD boots choose "Start MiniWindowsXP". Allow Windows to load. You will see a typical Windows Desktop.
  • You will be able to access your sick drive and save files/folders from here and run some of their other tools

Edited by garmanma, 02 January 2010 - 07:07 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users