Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netbook with GPS and wi-fi access

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pat C in CO

Pat C in CO

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:22 AM

I have read the pros and cons about Acer, Asus, Dell Mini and the Sony Viao. Suddenly, I started seeing netbooks with built-in GPS. I can't tell from reading the specifications whether using the GPS feature is free or something to which you must subscribe. I am also not finding the clear words which indicate that there is a port for a wired internet connection. Where I travel there are few "wi-fi hotspots" and it is unlikely that a localized GPS provider that works in the US would work for me in third world countries. Any help?

Thanks,
Pat C in CO

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

Since no one has given you an answer I'll just give a comment
While being all geeky with computers, there are a few new electronic breakthroughs I don't use
I tolerate basic cell phones. MP3 players? Never got one yet.
GPS?? Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but I don't need everyone keeping tabs on me
I know, I should gather up all of my guns and go live in Montana somewhere :blink:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

I am also not finding the clear words which indicate that there is a port for a wired internet connection.

I believe you are referring to an Ethernet port.

When a device has built-in GPS, it refers to the GPS receiver "chipset" it features. To make use of this chipset (GPS), you need additional software which in most cases, requires a purchase.

Now, a GPS can work anywhere in the world as long as it can get a signal to lock on. However, I don't see why it is necessary for a notebook, simply because a standalone GPS receiver would do a much better job.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

LOL...I'll only comment that...in the early 90s, the GPS was a new thing in the world of the military and its functions.

Now, all of a sudden...people who knew how to read maps, traffic signs, etc...need a GPS :blink:.

I'll put it this way, based on my time in the military: If you go camping a lot where there are no street signs, highways, etc...a GPS is a neat thing to have. It won't prevent you from getting lost, but it will save you from having to learn how to do land navigation, map-reading, etc.

OTOH, I don't see why so many persons think they need a GPS...to go the local Walmart, grocery store, etc. But it's making GPS manufacturers pile up the cash :wacko:.

PS: I have Mark beat...I do have 2 .mp3 players (use them when I go for runs, going to sleep, etc.).

Louis

#5 Pat C in CO

Pat C in CO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for your responses. I've concluded you are right about the GPS addition; seldom used but maybe enough bait to attract a few more fish to bite. Riding trains in Europe probably would not be made any easier/faster/more accurate by such an option, being able to read basic signs in the local language would. And I have since learned that getting any maps for the countries of southern Africa would be even more of a challenge.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

Good luck to you on your journey
Get the least expensive one. They do have the habit of growing legs and walking away
This comes from a friend of mine in the Peace Corps

Edited by garmanma, 05 January 2010 - 12:29 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users