Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt System File - Cannot Start Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cberger01

cberger01

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:49 PM

As my Dell Optiplex 330 was starting up the power cord was accidentally pulled out and now I get an error saying a file is missing or corrupt at windows\system32\config\system. It says I may be able to repair this using the windows setup disk and pressing "r". I tried this however when I get to repair it asks me to select the installation I want to log onto, I press - 1 for XP and then it does nothing. I also tried getting to the safe mode screen and selecting last known good configuration which it let me get to once, but it still gave me the same error and now it will not even get to the safe mode list F8, it will just restart itself. Is there any way I can fix the system file without reinstalling the operating system? I have the ability to hook the hard drive up to another computer so I was thinking of just coping the "system" file but I'm not sure if that will help at all or just create more issues. I would really like to avoid reinstalling the OS.

Thank you for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:11 AM

I would try connecting the drive to a second system as a secondary drive...then running the chkdsk /r by following the guidance under Starting Check Disk at CHKDSK Utility - http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html.

Louis

#3 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

From my experience with this, no there is no other way.

I got this error a while back one morning and i tried many ways which failed

i gave up and did a full install [not much help but its my input :thumbsup: ]

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

MS guidance, How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.

Louis

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

When I got that message a while back I was able to use a rescue disk (boot disk) from the Fix-It-Utilities 9 disk to go in and use System Restore to restore my computer to a previous date and that fixed it like nothing had ever been wrong with the computer.

All I had to do was put in that disk, start the computer, and select use System Restore. It let me choose a restore point and in a very short amount of time, all was well. Took less than 30 minutes from putting the disk in to being up and running again.

I bought the disk at Wal-Mart for about 30 bucks and it has a lot of other utilities on it too, including one year of anti-virus protection. I found it well worth the 30 bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users