Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD 64 X2 Socket 939?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alamaxia

Alamaxia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

Anyone know of any online retailers that still sell an AMD 64 X2 processor that fits a socket 939? Everything I am seeing is AM2 or AM3. I have an older motherboard (Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI) and have been running a single core processor in it for the longest time. Getting ready to update my system to Win7 (been running WinXP 32bit) and am really hoping to get a dual core dumped into this machine.

Thanks!

~Alamaxia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:45 AM

Why not replace both board and processor?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...621|&Sort=4

http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.as...DTMBMMCP61SM600

Louis

#3 Alamaxia

Alamaxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

I've thought about doing that, but I'm running an SLI system with some NVIDIA cards, and have 4 gigs of ram in this computer. Just haven't had the will to go through the hassle of finding a new mobo that has both SLI and the RAM speed I need (as well as still having two PATA slots on it... still running two PATA optical drives, two PATA hard drives, and one SATA hard drive.)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

PATA drives should not be a concern.

I have about 8 of them lying around my apartment. When I want to use one, I simply install one of the three controllers I have and all is good.

Case designs have given up pretty much on concerning themselves with PATA drives.

If you think "controller", I suggest Highpoint as the manufacturer.

I don't know anything about SLI/Crossfire, etc., I don't game

If you are running 4GB of DDR2...that's no problem...I just looked up the board specs and see that it cannot handle DDR2.

OK, I'll stop...just expressing how I look at things on my two systems (I spoil myself :thumbsup:).

Louis

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

I looked at reviving my dead AMD-939 and hamluis is right its generally cheaper to just replace the whole works. The 939 Socket is now 3 generations behind (although it was very short lived anyways) it has gone from New (expensive), to Common (cheapest prices), to Rare (more expensive than when new).

To give you an idea as to how expensive the 939 was this time last year when mine died. Motherboard + RAM (mine supported DDR1 all boards I found supported DDR2), and new X2 CPU cost just over $400 which is what i bought a new laptop for. Figure the prices have only increased since then, AMD is no longer making that processor anymore.

SLi will be hard to find with an AMD motherboard though given that ATi and AMD are together now. Switching to an Intel (I love AMD's too) will be much easier to find and cheaper.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users