Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioned Drive while installing Windows XP Error

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 lrnd10

lrnd10

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

I have a desktop computer that had Windows 98SE installed on it. I had a virus/malware problem on the computer. I decided to install Windows XP Home Edition to the computer as XP is easier to work with than Windows 98SE. While I was installing XP I was asked, "Do you want to install this over Windows 98SE?" (you will lose all your files and data from Windows 98SE) OR "Do you want to partition your drive and have two operating systems?" I choose to partition the drive. I was asked to insert a disk from Windows 98SE that I did not have or could not find at the time. So the installation was stopped without completing. Now when I try to boot up my computer I get the following screen:

**************************************************************************************************

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If you computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose "Last Known Good Configuration" to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the "Power" or "Reset" button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose "Start Windows Normally".

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts: 29

***************************************************************************************************

1- If I choose "Start Windows Normally" the system reboots and the same screen mentioned above appears and I am stuck in this cycle.

2- If I choose "Last Known Good Configuration" the blue screen of death flashes for half a second and then the same screen mentioned above appears and I am stuck in this recurring cycle.

3- If I choose any of the "Safe Mode" choices, I get the same result. A row of typing appears at the bottom of the screen and continues line after line scrolling quickly until I get to the following line and the screen freezes.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\JGOGO.sys

Anything I do will cause the system to try to reboot and the same screen mentioned above appears and I am stuck in this cycle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point I would be glad to uninstall either operating system (Windows 98SE or Windows XP Home Edition) or get past the start up (in safe mode or not) to my Desktop. I am open to deleting everything and starting new. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to get this computer usable again?

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

It would appear to me that your failed XP (98SE) installation has hosed your boot.ini which won't allow your computer to boot. If this was my system (as you stated in your previous post, that 98SE was giving you problems) I would just re-start with the XP CD and do a clean installation of XP only...XP is much more stable than 98 ever was. I would forget about dual-booting with an O/S that was giving me problems. Now if you insist on dual-booting with 98SE you'll have to find the set-up disks to complete your installation and try again...But if it was mine I would just forget about that option...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

:flowers:

This one is really a bit different.

It was aborted by XP start up Disk half way through the Partitioning? That puts it in to Limbo Land.

I think I may have an answer that works for you, Mate.

Luckily that HDD has not been formatted under NTFS yet, so this should work, with a bit of help from you on your end.

Firstly I need confirmation that you have a Floppy Drive fitted on that Machine and also the one you are using now? If that is so, Download a Copy of WIN98SE Start Up Disk from the below Site, it is Free, and save the Zip File onto Desktop,insert a New Formated Floppy Disk and double click on it to set up you Floppy. Put it to one side near the other Machine.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Put it into the Floppy Drive on the Sick Machine, then go into the BIOS and change the Boot Order to Floppy Drive, A: Drive, save and Exit

That should boot you into A:Drive

Type in C: and press enter, if C: comes up, type in dir and press enter, Post back what it says?

BTW, that is just the start of it, Mate. I think you may have been hit with a really serious one, Adding XP may have triggered something else? Let's see if we can sneak up on it?

If this works we can use DOS to wipe that HDD Clean.

One more Question? Are you quite sure you need nothing on that Drive? We maybe can save some of it? Once we start my way it will all be gone, Mate.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 02 January 2010 - 12:50 AM.

#4 lrnd10

lrnd10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:25 AM

Hi Abacus 7,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. My disk drive was not working prior, that is why I was installing XP as I have a portable floppy drive that I wanted to use on the sick computer. XP recognizes new hardware and finds the driver automatically for this portable floppy drive, whereas 98SE does not. You have to use the "Find new Device" program, etc.

The sick computer has been sitting for about a year now, and I just booted it up and tried working on it again. It seems the disk drive works now. So I took your suggestion and created the WIN98SE Start Up Disk from the site you listed (thank you again, for giving me so much help!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I put the floppy into the drive and turned on the sick PC it booted from the disk without me having to change anything.

I received the following message:

Windows 98 has detected that Drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition. There are several possible causes.

1- The drive may need to be partitioned. To create a partition on the drive, run FDISK from the MS-DOS command prompt.

2- You may be using 3rd party disk partitioning software. If you are using this, remove the Boot Disk and restart your computer. Then follow the instructions to start from a floppy.

3- Some viruses also cause your Drive C to not register. You can use a virus scanning program to check your PC for viruses.

Device driver not found: MSCD001
No valid CD device drivers selected

To get help, type HELP and press ENTER

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I typed in FDISK and hit enter.

I received the following message:

Your disk is larger than 512MB. Etc, etc, etc.

Do you wish to enable large disk support? Y or N

I selected: Yes

Then I received the following message:

Your computer has NTFS partitions which may require large drive support.

Should NTFS partition on all drives be treated as large? Y or N

I selected: Yes

Then I get this screen asking for a selection.

Do you want to...

1- Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive

2- Set active partition

3- Delete partition or Logical DOS drive

4- Display partition info.

What should I select?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:31 AM

Oh Boy

This is curly, Honestly, I have never tried this on NTFS? But it could be quite an eye opener here Mate.

select 3 and remove everything

Post back

Once they are removed, hit ctl alt and Delete to reboot when you are told to reboot.

Nice to have a better than Newby to teach, Mate. We could all Learn off this one!

When you reboot into it go to Fdsk and go through it again untill the same Screen as now?

Select 4 to make doubly sure it is all Gone.

Then return and select 1, set up up a Dos Partition by the instructions, forget about extended use the whole HDD capacity just for that, after that, from a rusty Memory? you need to go to 2 and confirm it?

After that Reboot and in A: type in Format C: Notice the Space?

You then should have a HDD that XP will recognise. But? Check out if that Machine will really handle XP?

That is an other Thread.

Edited by Abacus 7, 02 January 2010 - 03:57 AM.

#6 lrnd10

lrnd10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:52 AM

I selected 3- Delete partition or Logical DOS drive and hit enter.

I am now presented with 4 choices.

1- Delete Primary DOS partition

2- Delete Extended DOS partition

3- Delete Logical DOS drive in the Extended DOS partition

4- Delete Non-DOS partition

Which should I select?

Lisa

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:59 AM

That deletes them all.

It also could apply to 4 as we are Playing with NTFS?

Try each one?

Edited by Abacus 7, 02 January 2010 - 04:02 AM.

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:05 AM

I will stay with you on this one, Mate

BTW I am from Australia? bit far away to look over your Shoulders?

#9 lrnd10

lrnd10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:06 AM

I selected "1- Delete Primary DOS partition" and hit enter.

It came back with, "No Primary DOS partition to delete".

Then I tried "4- Delete Non-DOS partition".

I showed me the data and said are you sure you want to delete this?

I selected: Yes.

It told me I had to reboot. I used Cntrl-Alt-Del as you suggested.

When I reboot again I tried the FDISK and confirmed there was nothing left to delete.

What is my next step?

Lisa

Edited by lrnd10, 02 January 2010 - 04:13 AM.

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:08 AM

Hit 4?

4- Delete Non-DOS partition

That is NTFS, Mate

Edited by Abacus 7, 02 January 2010 - 04:12 AM.

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:10 AM

I am chewing fingernails to see if this will work.

#12 lrnd10

lrnd10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:24 AM

I was able to delete the Non-DOS partition. I had to reboot and verified that it was removed. I am now creating a primary DOS partition. Do I need to... "Set active partition" after I am fininshed? I know I need to format the drive when I am finished with "FORMAT C: /s" afterwards. The PC is verifying drive integrity. I will let you know when it is finished.

Lisa

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:34 AM

You are doing well, Lisa, Magic!

Let it set Active Partition,

Let it verify, forget about any extentions, just Format it after.

Maybe before Formatting run scandsk? That will show if it is still worthwhile? I have never removed NTSF this way, so I am just a Bystander now? Scandsk will show any errors on the Drive?

This looking good for other Problems, Mate. I really hope it works for a lot of others.

BTW what is the size of the HDD in question?

Ray

Edited by Abacus 7, 02 January 2010 - 06:04 AM.

#14 lrnd10

lrnd10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

Hi Ray,

I formatted the drive and followed all the other instructions. Now when I start my PC, I just get a
"C:\>" prompt. What do I type here? I am in DOS, correct? How do I get out of DOS?

Also, while I was using the "WIN98SE Start Up Disk" you showed me where to download, I received the
message, "No CD ROM's drives found", so the installation of "MSCD001" was aborted. This must be
because I have a DVD/CD RW 16x16 installed instead of a just a CD ROM. So now my DVD/CD drive
does not work without a driver. It is an "Aopen DUW1616L DVD/CD Rewritable Drive". Do you know where
I can get a driver that I can load to a floppy and install on that PC so that I can continue with my installation
CD's?

Sorry I did not give more specifics earlier, I moved recently and have just found my PC specs.
You asked about the size of my HDD. I have a 500GB Hard Disk Drive installed, to be specific it is
"WD WD5000KS 500GB HDD"with a "3.5 inch Internal SATA2 7200rpm 16MB" BULK # 45032.
You have been such a help, Ray. I don't know how I can thank you enough. If I can get my DVD
drive functioning and get to a desktop, I can have my PC up and running again.

I will wait for any help you or anyone else can give......

Thank you so much!!!

Lisa

#15 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

Great Work, Lisa.

We all know now how to do an Emergency Format of NTFS using a WIN98SE Start Up Disk. Incredible that it worked on a 500G HDD.

Sorry for the Delay, we are in different Time Zones.

Under the WIN98SE Start Up Disk CDROMs are supported, so maybe the XP Disk will have support for DVDs?

I would go into the BIOS and set it to boot from CD/DVD , insert the Windows XP Disk and see if it will Boot up? if so proceed to install Windows XP. If not post back.

Because it is 500G I would be inclined to Partition the Drive using Windows XP Disk. 1st Partition for XP, I would make 40G only. That keeps it tidy and XP will run faster, with less fragmentation. To Create Partitions do the following.

Click on the Partition that DOS created, and select Delete, follow the Prompts. Next click on the large unallocated Area now there and Type in C for Create. When it asks you how much Space type in 40G, follow the Prompts, then click again on the large unallocated Section and Type in C, this time when it asks type in 230G, follow the Prompts, finally select the remaining large unallocated Area, type in C and allocate whatever is left. That should leave you with 3 Partitions and a small 8G of unallocated Space. This is normal.

When you Install Windows XP do it onto the 40G Partition. Windows will Format it under NTFS, select Full Format, Mate. Please remember that the other two Partitions are not Formatted during install, but you can do them after from within Windows, just remember to do them?

Any Problems, please Post Back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users