Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Personal Security" after-effects

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JamTuner

JamTuner

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

XP Pro sp2 -amd 64 3.2gh 6400/asus m2n32ws pro - wired b-bandcable internet connection on network routed through d-link di-624 - AVG 9. installed ,updated and running at time of infection

A: became infected with "Personal Security" malware

B: came here and went through the whole procedure as outlined without success, as the prog variant was able to successfully shut down MBAM quarantine after MBAM scan
Note : this whole procedure took place in safe mode as PSecurity effectively shutdown any access to the net for dl's and installs. I loaded MBAm from another pc ( this one I'm typing into ) by way of removable drive. I tried this procedure a few times.

C: Having no success with MB, I tried manually removing files by way of "move on boot" - this with no success even with REPEATED attempts

D: At this point I was ready to surrender and start process of saving what I could from the drives, and do clean install. Then, by chance, I found on another forum a mention of TROJAN REMOVER by Simply Super Software - I dl'd and ran this prog and it was able to identify and delete the PSec. files...for the MOST part it seems

E. Now, the pc seemed to run okay, with no popups and the associated annoyances of PSecurity, but then I found that Firefox would not run very long without crashing; Explorer and Google Chrome simply don't recognize an internet connection.
I removed and re-installed FFox with slight improvement, it seemed, but it crashes after a few minutes.
I tried running Acronis utility to clean up hard drives but it will stop running without finishing.

This last comment about Acronis points up another symptom : the screen freezes after running anything very long, ( note: I have NOT run anything but the browsers, the trojan scan and Acronis disk utility) I re-start the pc and everything boots up ok, then, same scenario.

Thanks for any help you can give me to do the housekeeping necessary to get the lingering effects of this nasty bug off my drives !

=A=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

<<...came here and went through the whole procedure as outlined...>>

If you mean that you tried to remove the malware according to guidance at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...rsonal-security, I would like to draw your attention to one of the latter paragraphs dealing with "If you are still having problems."

Louis

#3 JamTuner

JamTuner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:05 AM

Of Course I read it as far as my attention span allowed me! - which was up to the point of registering for this forum !
Now I have allowed email responses and gone on through these other preliminaries, up until I dl'd the dds.scr onto this pc and through my network connection tried to open it in my workstation which has Autocad installed in it and .scr is autocad script file association and the script opens as a text file.
I have to somehow dissociate the .scr file from Autocad I went to their forums and found a workaround which hasn't worked so far ( renaming a .dll temporarily) -
so... now I have another prob ! :thumbsup:
=A=

#4 JamTuner

JamTuner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

ok after some R&D I was able to open the dds.scr and run the scans, I have the files saved and ready to post when requested. TY =A=

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

I think you missed something.

The details of the link that I referrred...involve following administrative instructions for preparation of a HJT log in one of the BC malware forums.

This is the XP forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users