Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't add shortcuts to quick lauch

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

I have WinXP tab ed SP3 and when I try dragging a shortcut to the quicklaunch area I get a circle w/ a bar across around the icon - like a no smoking sign - and the shortcut doesn't "take". I managed to get notepad and a doc folder shortcut added in my admin acct. by repeated dragging over several days awhile back, but nothing takes in my power user acct or the acct I set up today for the data recovery agent and I can't get anything else into quicklauch in my admin acct.

I have Show Quicklaunch checked in taskbar properties.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

That usually happens when the quick launch is unable to access the file it should point to(shortcut). From my experience.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

I really like your avatar [?correct term] gully786.

The shortcuts that I'm trying to drag to quicklaunch work when I click them so the shortcuts have the correct path. The instructions say to drag from explorer, which I've been trying to do, but I'm pretty sure I used to just drag them from the desktop.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:22 PM

OK after a quick Google scavenge i think this may be a solution

Uninstall and reinstall service pack 2 (note if your running SP3 uninstall that as well)

I havent been able to find anythin to uninstall and install the toolbar itself so you might want to look for that yourself if the above fails :thumbsup:

oh and thanx about the compliment

Edited by gully786, 05 January 2010 - 12:23 PM.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

I think I'd just uninstall SP3 'cause I don't see SP2 in add/remove programs. If I uninstalled/reinstalled SP3 I'd have to reinstall the security updates post SP3, right? I think I'll just live w/ the bum quicklaunch function for awhile. Windows Update - automatic and regular flavor -raises my BP, makes me froth at the mouth and go into rant mode. Meanwhile I'll keep googling now and then and maybe find some good toolbar articles, probably when I'm looking for something else and one link leads to another.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

Sorry I couldn't be any more of a help :flowers:

Hope you find a fix soon

Good luck :thumbsup:

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

You're right - you should be able to drag from the desktop.
Have you run chkdsk lately.

Basics: Drag the icon with the right-hand button; it should be released
only when you can see the icon is overlaid with a grey vertical insertion bar.

(If you go too far to the right, you will get the circle because you are moving
into the main taskbar area).

If you cannot successfully right-drag, open the Quick Launch folder
and drop the icon directly into the folder.

That will result in the icon appearing in the Quick Launch area on the taskbar.

To open the Quick Launch folder, simply right-click on an empty bit of the QuickLaunch Bar;
from the context menu which pops up, choose Open Folder;
then use the mouse's RIGHT-hand button to drag the required shortcut / icon
over the open window (Quick Launch folder);
drop it and, from the menu which appears, choose Copy Here.

(You will have to minimise the Quick Launch folder while you are finding your shortcut or icon).

The shortcut will now be on the taskbar's Quick Launch area
but, if chevrons are present on the QuickLaunchBar, the shortcut may be hidden initially.

Easy to do, at least you will have your shortcuts.

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

Thanks.
I was dragging w/ the left button, over and over for a long time :thumbsup:

When I tried w/ the right button at first it didn't work, but I went slower and got the little menu w/ copy here or move here.
Success! I use quicklaunch a lot. It takes awhile for the Desktop to load w/ Show Desktop so I can get to my frequently used shortcuts.

I didn't know about the quicklaunch folder. That's nice to know. Even when I remembered how to drag my shortcuts correctly, sometimes quicklaunch got stubborn and uncooperative. There's not a lot of room on the taskbar in the X41's small screen and sometimes I can't seem to hit the right spot.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#9 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

To be fair to you, it should work with the left button, anyway.

If the icon you're dragging to the Quick Launch bar goes too close to the Start button, you get the circle;
a small screen is awkward and the action with the mouse needs to be precise;
you have to judge it exactly, not too far to the left or right of an icon already
on the QL area bar; not too near the top or bottom of the bar; dead centre should
give you the grey vertical bar, to enable you to drop it.

As long as you achieve the desired outcome, I suppose that is a result,
but it does not answer the question why you had the problem in the first
place, hence my suggestion re running checkdisk, when you get
time within your busy schedule.

Path to QL folder should be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Edited by petewills , 07 January 2010 - 01:10 PM.

#10 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

I don't know why it wouldn't work w/ the L button. I tried it numerous times aiming for the space in between the icons already installed like Show Desktop the Tablet Input icons and between Start and the 1st icon. Maybe my coordination is better using the right button than the left, altho it shouldn't require such precision that that small difference makes it work.

I run chkdsk, Disk Cleanup and check for disk fragmentation weekly and I defrag if it's suggested. I keep an eye on how full the hard disk is, what programs load at startup and the system requirements of the programs I install. I use windows automatic update and check for lenovo updates for the tablet periodically. I keep my av and antimalware updated, run real-time protection and regular scans. I only install programs compatible w/ WinXP.

I didn't expect my 1.5 GHz Pentium M , 1.5 GB RAM, 4200 RPM 60 GB HD tablet pc to act like a high-performance computer, but out of the box w/ only pre-installed programs it was ridiculously slow and explorer and ms journal were constantly crashing. It went back to lenovo for service and came back improved, but still too slow. Word crashes constantly and explorer still crashes on a regular basis. So I know something's wrong, but also sometimes I'm doing something wrong.

I'm trying to figure out a protocol to troubleshoot the tablet beyond the lenovo tool box - to test hardware like memory & the HD from a boot disk and then to run diagnostics to check for caching and pagefile performance etc. I need to do the same thing for my Dell 380 desktop. So I'm glad I can put shortcuts in quick launch 'cause I've got a lot of research still to do and that speeds things up.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users