Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security 2010 virus; McAfee; System Restore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Lampson

Mark Lampson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

There are actually a couple questions buried in this post...
I got that Internet Security 2010 nasty virus/malware that Grinler perfectly well described (and his uninstall directions worked perfectly - THANK YOU).

I believe I had an earlier version of this same thing (maybe a year ago) which I was able to avoid by executing an earlier System Restore point.

This time, however when I went to do a System Restore, I received the message "System Restore has been turned off by Group Policy. To turn back on contact Domain Administrator".
So, First Question: - was the change to the Group Policy configuration something that the IS2010 program did? I've never messed around with these policy things (didn't even know they existed before this fun event). After removing IS2010, I was able to follow a version of a procedure by Rick Selby (different web site) and eventually got the System Restore function back on (unfortunatly with all previous restore points gone). I assume this was somehow related to the IS2010 protecting itself..but if not, I'd like to know what someone thinks might have happened.

Second set of questions has to do with recommendations and compatibility for anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware.... I have a McAfee product "McAfee Security Center" on this computer (a 2005 Dell running Windows XP) - the McAfee program came with the computer and I thought it was supposed to be a fully Integrated Security Platform. I thought it was a complete product (anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam...), but a McAfee full system Scan by it did not turn up ANY of the Trojans, etc. that the Malwarebyte program found...maybe it's just an anti-"virus" program. For us novices - anything that screws with my computer is a 'virus', and I miss the distincion between Spyware, Malware, Virus...
So - if the McAfee doesnt do it (or whatever McAfee Dell sold with this computer) - can you recommend a Single product that does it all and will automatically update itself? I read Grinler's article that mentions a number of different products....Do I need them all (Spyware, Virus, Malware, firewall, etc) - and if so, will they all play together nicely? Is McAfee ok, but maybe I need an upgrade - or there is a Norton 360 product - ?? I would like something I can load up and it will automaticlly get daily updates and cover the waterfront of these nasty things.

Thank you in advance for your answers and recommendations.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

So, First Question: - was the change to the Group Policy configuration something that the IS2010 program did?

Yes, many rogue programs like to play with the system restore feature to prevent you from rolling back to a cleaner state.

can you recommend a Single product that does it all and will automatically update itself?

Depends on if you are willing to pay. Most security suites must be purchased. But you can get individual programs (anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, etc) for free and just run a few at a time.

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition or avast! for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

All of the programs I listed above are completely free

Edited by xblindx, 02 January 2010 - 03:28 PM.

#3 Mark Lampson

Mark Lampson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Thank you for the input on the free stuff.

If I am willing to pay - can you recommend one or two that you think have a full suite of protection (Brand and specific products)?
Thank you.
Mark

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

My son just installed the Comodo firewall and antivirus program and even though it is free, it seems to have malware/spyware protection as well.

I have always used ZoneAlarm Antivirus (the one that is 29.95 to buy and 19.95 to renew it each year) which comes with the firewall and it seems to cover the malware/spyware too, even though it does not have a seperate protection mode for that. Their site says that it detects and blocks viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, worms, bots, and rootkits. I have never felt the need to use their Extreme Security Suite which covers a few more things, but maybe you would.

I have been so happy with ZoneAlarm for so many years now that I do not mind paying the 20 bucks a year for it even though there seems to be many good free ones out now.

You can get their products at this link....

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/home.htm?lid=en-us

You can see a comparison of all their products at this link...

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/co...re-software.htm

For extra protection against malware/spyware I just immunize my system with Spybot and SpywareBlaster and then to make sure nothing has slipped by my protection, I run occassional scans with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

One other thing I do is keep a backup copy of some of my System Restore Points just in case something wipes out the original System Restore Points. This way I can copy them back into their folder and use them in the event something took out the originals

Edited by Stang777, 03 January 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

I have no experience with any paid software (besides Norton in like 2005), but a good one I see recommended a lot is ESET. Also, Kaspersky. Both of those programs have trials so you can try them out and see if you like them before purchasing them

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

Kaspersky is suppose to be really good which is why ZoneAlarm incorporated their scan engine into the ZoneAlarm antivirus program.

I think all paid antivirus programs have free trials so you can always give some a try and see which one runs best on your system and has the features and ease of use that you need.

With antivirus programs its always hard to tell which one would be best for any system. One that runs great on one system and does not slow it down at all will not run so well on another one and will slow down that system.

Seems to be a try it and see how you like it kind of thing

With every system I have put ZoneAlarm on I keep expecting it to slow it down because I have heard some others have had it do that to their system, but so far, it has not slowed down any of mine and I have had it on, I think, 4 different systems.

Edited by Stang777, 03 January 2010 - 08:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users