Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Failing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

Hi there,

This is a problem on a Sony Vaio Laptop with 512MB RAM running on XP Home SP3.

Basically I reviewed the update history on the Microsoft Windows Update site and found that 2 updates are constantly failing to install for some reason.

The first one is:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 & .Net Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

This has been trying to update since the 11th of August without success.

The second one is:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 RC2 (KB953297).

This has been trying to update since the 15th October without success.

On clicking the failure icon it just reports the error as:

Installation Failure
Error Code: 0x643

I'm assuming this is a pretty generic error code which won't help much! I understand from a few Google searches that a lot of people have had this problem in one form or another, but there are a variety of solutions and i'm not sure which one to try as I don't want to break anything!

Can anybody point me in the right direction here, I can provide as much information as you require.

I'm trying to solve this because i've been recieving a BSOD on the laptop at random times, and i'm wondering if this is the cause, so eliminating this problem would be of great help!

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

Posting the content of the error message reflected on the BSOD...would probably be more effective...than assuming that you know what one of the causes may be, IMO.

If you have any doubt about what is important, take a look at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/283411/virus-computer-locked-need-help-please/.

Louis

#3 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've just recieved the BSOD, and the exact error message is as follows:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Tecnical information:

*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0x7A69739D, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF83AFE9F)

*** NDIS.sys - Address F83AFE9F base at F8397000, DateStamp 48025d03

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

The BSOD seems to only happen at random times, but once it occurs it seems to re-occur when I restart the laptop until I turn off the laptop for a while and re-visit it.
And on restart from the BSOD I get a Windows Dialog pop up to say "The System has recovered from a serious error" I could send this report to Microsoft but I click the "Don't send" button.

Oh and also this problem has never occured when i've used the laptop at work, it has only happened whilst at home..however I don't know if this is just a coincedence seeing as it happens at random times.

Also did you copy and paste over the wrong link in your first post, the thread seems un-related and doesn't offer any advice on the subject as far as I can see, although I may be wrong!

Oh and also just to note the laptop is Windows XP Pro SP3, not Home!

Edited by JJ2K, 01 January 2010 - 04:04 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

The Serious Error...not much we can do about that, not sure what's going on there. I've received a couple of those previously and I just ignore them because I have no clue what the error was. I think of it as Windows way of saying "I managed to save your bacon this time" with no guarantee of anything in the future :flowers:.

You have a D1 STOP error which is blaming ndis.sys..ndis.sys, take a look at http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=308429.

My interpretation is that it is not a memory error but a driver error, caused because the either your network drivers or ndis.sys is damaged.

My first step would be to uninstall my NIC drivers...then reinstall same. That's the path I suggest for you.

Let us know if the BSOD occurs again.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users