Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My desktop won't respond from Sleep mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rb3642

rb3642

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

Hi i just joined this board and thought i should submit a problem i have with having my desktop respond from sleep mode. It seems that when i press either the enter key the hard drive responds and the power light goes on but nothing is shown on the monitor. In other words the monitor is blank. I hit the power button and it reboots. I'll get a message saying Windows is rebooting but still nothing on the screen so i manually reboot it. This doesn't seem normal to me. I have windows 7 on my laptop also and that wakes up just fine so i think i'm missing a setting or two.

btw this is a nice board with some good help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

still nothing on the screen so i manually reboot it.

Does it work after that?
Corrupt video drivers do not play nice with hibernate/standby
You might want to try replacing your video driver
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 rb3642

rb3642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

I already replaced the video drivers to the latest win 7 drivers. I usually have to reboot the pc altogether which is annoying.

I just looked for any driver updates and sure enough there's one. i'm installing it now. I'll let you know what happens from here.

thanks

Edited by rb3642, 01 January 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#4 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

It has been my experience that sleep/hibernate/standby modes create more problems than they are worth and should be avoided. I leave my PC's on 24/7, I have the monitors set to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity and that's it.

If you are not comfortable for whatever reason with leaving them on all the time, I would suggest shutting down and restarting when you are away for long periods or even overnight. Your computer will thank you. :huh:

#5 rb3642

rb3642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

It has been my experience that sleep/hibernate/standby modes create more problems than they are worth and should be avoided. I leave my PC's on 24/7, I have the monitors set to turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity and that's it.

If you are not comfortable for whatever reason with leaving them on all the time, I would suggest shutting down and restarting when you are away for long periods or even overnight. Your computer will thank you. :huh:

I have to agree. I put this thing in sleep mode and had to reboot again. i shut it down at night anyway so what am i really saving

#6 rb3642

rb3642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Here's an update to this problem. I contacted microsoft and they suggested i do a clean boot which meant to remove all programs from the startup. I did this and it worked sort of. I say sort of because i have another issue. I turn the machine off at night and in the morning i hit the power button. Sometimes the machine will not power up smoothly. The power light will go on and i hear the machine powering up then it will die. Then it will power up then stop. This will happen 2 -3 times before it powers up. WHen i first did the clean boot i turned the machine off and turned it on. It powered up right away and it responded to sleep mode real fast by me just touching the enter key. I turned the machine off and powered it up but this time it stuttered as i described earlier. This time it did not respond to me hitting the enterkey while in sleep mode. Now i need to figure out why this thing isn't powering up right away. This is a custom made machine so it's up to me. Any ideas would help

#7 BDAKiwi

BDAKiwi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:03 PM

In my experience a dodgy power supply can cause a raft of irritating issues, if you have access to another one it's easy to test. Another thing is loose components, such as a video card that's not quite all the way in the slot, even if it looks right. Remove and re-fit everything that plugs into the motherboard, sometimes components are not quite in place. Also the actual power button itself might be faulty, but that doesn't fit the other issues you're having, although sometimes that's what happens - unrelated 2nd faults are a pain in the butt! :huh:

Edited by BDAKiwi, 05 January 2010 - 08:06 PM.

#8 rb3642

rb3642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

I was thinking about the loose components. When i had vista installed i had no problems. It's win 7 that i'm seeing this issue. The fact that the machine doesn't power up clean bithers me and i think is the root of this problem. i don't have another power supply to swap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users