Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Redirect

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thmobiletronics

thmobiletronics

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

I was wondering if there is a way to redirect my email to a new address.
I know I can forward..

Here's my dilemma. I have Comcast as my tv and internet provider. I am switching to satellite for tv and may go to wireless (cellular) for my internet.
My problem is, I made comcast.net my main email address (stupid move). I recieve all my personal and business email thru them. I have a yahoo and an AOL account but my problem is if I cancel my comcast, the account will no longer exist.

Is there a way to capture any comcast.net email and redirect it to my other accounts?

My gut feeling is that this is a no go but any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Are you accessing your mail through SmartZone or an email client?

If you use SZ (web-based) set up an email client (Outlook Express which is included with XP, Windows Mail which is included with Vista, Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.) If you don't do this, the only way to save your mail is by forwarding it to your Yahoo or AOL mail. If you have a lot of messages, this will take a lot of time, and if you send to many during a session you could be flagged as a spammer. Unfortunately, I don't know the number limit for how many you can safely send. Also, if you forward the mail, it will show YOU as the sender, not the original sender.
An email client will work to save the existing messages. Deal with those, then BEFORE you cancel Comcast, inform your contacts about a change of address. Use your yahoo or aol mail. Once the account is closed, anything sent to it will be bounced back to the sender, not forwarded to another address.

Configure the client to work with Comcast mail. The client will then download all messages from the server into the client.
The messages are stored on your computer, so when you lose access to Comcast mail you'll still have the messages.

If you want to continue to use an email client after changing providers, all you have to do is reconfigure the client through Accounts to work with the new ISP.

NOTE: Downloaded messages will be deleted from the server and no longer visible in SZ unless you configure the client to leave a copy on the server.

Go to your start menu. Look for Email, click it. If you use XP, Outlook Express will open. (The procedure will be the same if you use Windows mail or another email client)
ClickTools in OE/Accounts.
Choose ADD/Mail.
Follow the steps to set it up.
Incoming server: comcast.net
Outgoing server: smtp.comcast.net
When finished, go back to Tools/OPTIONS.
Check the box that says When starting, go directly to my inbox folder.
Close OE, reopen. The messages should download.

IF you have folders in SZ, you'll also have to download those messages.
Easiest way, let the inbox download.
Create a folder, call it Temp or something similar. Move the messages to that folder.
Then create folders in OE that are the same names as those in SZ.
Go to SZ, move the messages from one folder to the inbox, download them to OE.
Once there, move them to the folder you just created.
Continue the process for each SZ folder.
After they've all been moved, you can send the messages from your temp folder back to the inbox.

If you have any problems with the set-up or problems after it's set up:

I'm going to direct you to the Comcast Help Forums. Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, and CDV.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

Go to the Email forum.
Click on email clients / Smartzone - HOW-TO

Look at the 2nd post, Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail - setup
Follow the directions carefully.
Make sure all spacing is correct, that you use .net instead of .com (yes, this is a frequent error we see), and that all spelling is correct. (I once spent 2 hours trying to figure out why OE wouldn't work. Turned out I'd typed in .ent instead of .net)

If you use an email client that is not one of the ones mentioned, you can post in the forum for help.

This should solve your problems. If it doesn't you can post your question there in the email forum.

If it works, please post here and let me know.

You will also need to export your address book from SZ to your email client. I'll have to root around SZ for the procedure and will post that later today.

edited to add: before we deal with the address book export/import, do you have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer? This is needed for export/import to work.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 January 2010 - 11:27 AM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

One more thing that has nothing to do with Comcast email, but a very important point:

When your equipment is picked up or turned in, GET A RETURNED EQUIPMENT RECEIPT. Make sure it documents that what you returned is a modem or tv boxes.. If there are any stickers with serial or MAC numbers, make sure those numbers are on the receipt. Keep the receipt in a safe place, don't forget where you put it. In the past, Comcast has billed customers for equipment that had been returned. Sometimes they lose track of the equipment and the receipt will be your proof that you turned it in to Comcast.
I know from experience that having the receipts can save you a lot of headaches. I was able to pull out my receipts when a collection agency notified me I owed for Comcast equipment that had been returned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users