Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Partitions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bduv

bduv

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

I recently upgraded from Vista to 7 on a new laptop.I did a clean install to get rid of the un needed programs.

Everything has worked great until recently. The upgrade partioned my hard drive with 15 g for C (Recovery) and 115 g for D. C contains a 7.5 g file named Windows and a 1 g file Windows.old. These 2 files along with a few others have filled the C drive and I have started getting Disk Full errors when running certain programs.

I have tried uninstalling any programs that I can find that installed on C instead of D but I have only freed up about 1.5 g.

Is there any way to cut/paste a program from C to D without uninstall/re install?

I have tried to just increase the size of the C partition but can only find an option to Shrink the drive, the enlarge option is greyed out. I did shrink the D drive by about 10 g to free up space for C to grow but the enlarge function is still greyed out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

If C: is only 15GB and recovery it is a bit unusual and I'm puzzled how this configuration came about?
Where is your OS loaded - it is normally C:? If it is on D: this is likely to be causing the partition sizing difficulties.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

This tutorial is set-up for XP but I don't see why it wont't work for you:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/resizing-adding-partitions-with-gparted-live/

This is an open source (free) tool for re-sizing and creating partitions on existing installations. The reason that you can't change the size of your C partition is that is where your O/S resides and Windows won't let you make it larger (only smaller)...This software will allow you to make the changes to your partitions that you need. Just make sure that you make your C partition big enough for your needs...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

FWIW,

I downloaded g-parted...burned an ISO image....Followed all of the steps in the tutorial and was able to re-size my partitions including the O/S partition with no problems....So it works for Windows 7...

#5 bduv

bduv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the information.

I dont have much loaded on this computer other than a few games that can be reloaded.

Would ya'll recommend resizing the partition, or re-installing win 7 and redirecting the partitions during the install. Originally I just let the program do what it needed and I think that is why I have this mess.

The funny thing is that I upgraded my desktop at the same time (64 bit) and there is no recovery partition.

Bryan

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the information.

I dont have much loaded on this computer other than a few games that can be reloaded.

Would ya'll recommend resizing the partition, or re-installing win 7 and redirecting the partitions during the install. Originally I just let the program do what it needed and I think that is why I have this mess.

The funny thing is that I upgraded my desktop at the same time (64 bit) and there is no recovery partition.

Bryan

I guess that I don't quite understand the statement "Originally I just let the program do what it needed"...When you installed 7 and were asked about partition size, you should have been able to establish a size for the partition that you created (usually in mega-bytes)...1024mb=1gb....Did you do this?
Re-installation is entirely up to you. As I posted earlier about gParted...It works pretty well but takes a few hours to complete the re-sizing of your existing partitions and does nothing to disturb your files.

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 03 January 2010 - 08:41 AM.

#7 bduv

bduv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the help OGB!

I read through the tutorial and decided that reloading Win 7 would be the easiest fix.

I think I found my original error. I directed the installation of Win 7 to go to drive D. That made drive C the recovery drive and since most programs default to install on C it ate up the 15G very quickly. New install loaded Win 7 on C and recovery on D.

The new install still wouldnt let me increase the size of the "recovery" drive but I dont think it will be an issue since nothing else will be installed there.

Thanks again.

Bryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users