Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail account sending out spam to my contacts list

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hunney

Hunney

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

I have seen a few posts on this but they have all been closed due to lack of feedback. This has happened to me about 3 times now, I get a whole lot of Delivery Failure reports in my Hotmail inbox that tell me the following email couldn't be sent. It appears to have tried to send this message to everyone in my contacts list, and in some cases successfully. It's very embarrassing.

Hey friend,
How are you these days?
I got a nice webiste ,that guys sell lots of laptops |cell phones| PS3 | cameras and so on,which are brand new and original,But the price is so cheap and quality is nice.The international shipping is door to door ,more accurate ,more security!
Go and check it : www.eleRUSH.com
MSN: elerush@hotmail.com
E-mail: service@elerush.com

I have changed my email account password as this seems to be the only advice that Windows live can offer, other than the usual "how to keep yourself safe" stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can stop this from happening again?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Unless you are absolutely certain that the E-mail is actually coming from your computer, it would be more likely that someone else's computer is infected and the malware found your E-mail address there. And too, spammers often mask their stuff as if it came from an E-mail daemon, since most ISPS do not filter that address.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Hunney

Hunney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

It's definitely not coming from my own computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users