Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Legit password crack? - problem from Hell

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 cioran

cioran

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

Happy New Year, folks!

I've run into a problem which is so apparently unlikely that I'll have to ask you to trust me I'm not a laptop-thief...

On a new Studio XPS running Win7 Pro, I've migrated my files in good order, and everything has seemed ok. As it happened, I was dumb enough to include an XP True Admin account (set in safe mode) in the migration, mainly because I forgot I had set one.
It showed up on the new laptop's screen, but was no bother so I left it. Since the True Admin password didn't work, I didn't really have a choice anyway. Why it was scrambled, I don't know.

The fun part: looking at my ordinary admin account in Win7, it looked like it was a standard one, not admin. The icon was labelled 'Administrator', albeit in Swedish, but the Control Panel account list claimed it wasn't.
Thinking it was prudent to have a real admin account, I clicked 'Change account type' (loosely translated again), rebooted, and then found the icon was right, the Control Panel wasn't, and I could do basically squat with my new laptop without it asking for the old, migrated XP True Admin account password to ok it.
Obviously this included going back to the nearest restore point, changing security levels, backing up current files etc. Not only can't I finish installing my other software, Win7 itself doesn't trust me to do much more than open the notepad....

To my question: there are several softs out there claiming they can find whatever the password has turned into, Ophcrack being the one that first caught my eye. I'd have to get the laptop to accept a change in the BIOS boot order for it to boot from the Ophcrack disc I burned on my old XP machine, of course, but if that works About.com says it's a walk in the park and all I have to do is follow the instructions.
The actual site (Sourceforge) is somewhat more elaborate, saying I need to know how to load hashes made with 3:rd-party tools like pwdump, fgdump or similar.
That stuff is frankly beyond me, and I might as well reinstall rather than try to get it. Assuming my Win7 machine lets me, of course.

Any ideas? Is this sort of crack easy enough that I can risk it and save myself a day of reinstalling? Has the program been simplified so that I don't need to know what a fgdump hash file is and what to do with it?

The alternative would seem to be a reinstall, a more careful migration, and not trusting the Control Panel again. All in all a lot of work, a lot of installing my other softs, hoping the keys and registrations are still valid, and so forth.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 haun

haun

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

if you have everything backed up, i would just reinstall
Annnnd you're, asking, me...

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

I'll have to ask you to trust me I'm not a laptop-thief...

While that very well might be true and probably is, we cannot go against Bleeping Computer's Forum rules

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Topic is closed, sorry
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users