Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding RAM

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

I am going to add some ram to a rather old computer which currently has 256mb. Im thinking 1 gb should do it. What do i need to know to make sure its compatible?
How do i install it?

I know trough cpuz that i have:

Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) Kingmax Semiconductor (7F7F7F2500000000)
Size 256 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part number MPXB62D-38KT3R-FEA
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

You can check how many slots you have in your computer by opening it up and looking directly, or going to http://crucial.com/ and running their detector. They recommend RAM that works, but usually its overpriced.

Installing new RAM is pretty easy.

Use the picture here for references to what the RAM looks like - http://sonic840.deviantart.com/art/Compute...r-1-7-111402099

Unplug everything from your case.

Hit the power button again just to make sure its off(And uses any remaining power sitting in the circuits)

Open it up. I can't really say how exactly how to do this, as it is different from case to case.

Again, depending on your motherboard and the layout, the RAM is in different places. Usually its somewhere in the middle of the case

You should have at least one stick of RAM already in the slots. If you get two pieces of 512MB RAM, and you only have two slots, you'll have to take that one out.

To remove any previous RAM, just push on the two white(may be different colors) button-like ejectors on the sides.

Pull out the old RAM. It should come out easily (I'd recommend keeping it just so if one of the new sticks of RAM go bad at least you can put that old stuff back in and still have a computer.)

To install the new RAM, just firmly push down the new RAM into the same place you took the old RAM out. Just make sure its aligned right.

Make sure the RAM is in all the way, and the button ejector things are up next to the new RAM. Repeat if needed.

Thats all. Just put your computer back together, plug back in everything, and it should work. While starting up it may detect it and say it in the startup once.

Also you can take a vacuum in the case and clean it if you think its really dusty in the case.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

The BIOS on the motherboard may limit the configuration and amount of RAM recognized.

Before spending $$$ on more memory then can be used what is the make and model of the PC? Or if it is a garage built what is the motherboard make amd model?

Regarding the Crucial. While it is usually fairly reliable it has also been known to give wrong information.

#4 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:17 AM

Cpuz sais that i have two slots.

On the case of the comp it says jme data. Its of the shelves, dunno model, about 8 years old running xp and built for xp. Cpuz sais that i have a Shuttle Inc MV43V Motherboard, an American Megatrends Inc version 07.00T bios.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,894 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

http://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/en/mv...tm#specificatio

http://www.upgradecomputermemory.com/ram.c...3V-Motherboard/

Louis

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:15 AM

Having a hard time nailing down that motherboard.

I think this is it. http://www2.dealtime.com/xPF-Shuttle-MV43VN

Says this is what it will take.
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Number of Memory Slots 2 x 184 Pin DIMMs
Supported RAM speeds 266 MHz € 200 MHz
Max Supported RAM RAM 2 GB

Would not hurt to give Crucial`s scan a try to see if it agrees.

Just saw Louis`s reply. The memory he linked to is the same thing I came across but will not work if the motherboard we linked to is the correct one. The mobo info calls for 184 pin. The memory link`d is 168 pin.

Edited by ThunderZ, 02 January 2010 - 08:22 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,894 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

There seem to be variations of this board, hence you need to be certain of the board model.

Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

What appears for System Manufacturer and System Model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 January 2010 - 10:25 AM.

#8 Surma

Surma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

Umm, msinfo wont run for some reason, or its excruciatingly slow. The computer has told me that it needs more than 256 mb memory and its using about 256 mb virtual memory from the HDD. The imminent problem is that my brother is using it and only allows me limited minutes to check stuff. By the way, isnt that sort of info stored i the registry? Whats the name of the post, cause i know how to use regedit. At next chance, meaning tomorrow, i can measure the length ram port, cause i have figured out how to open the case. A bit dusty by the way.
---My computer---

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:44 PM

The physical length of the RAM has little to do with choosing proper RAM.

Clarification. Most desktop lengths are standardized.

As are lap tops.

Edited by ThunderZ, 02 January 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#10 cigam0102

cigam0102

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hi, :huh:

I don't have the money to buy new RAM, but while trying to find out if I could use some used RAM for my application I found these different links helpful!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/identifying-and-upgrading-ram/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiFIgSQOY7g...feature=related

Hope you are able to find what you need!

Already at this site in the last couple of weeks I've learned more than I ever thought I would! :thumbsup:

Thanks to the good people here! :huh:

Later! B)

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

This is your motherboard : Shuttle MV43V

And this is what you need : 2 X Kingston 1GB DDR PC 2100 = 2GB !

Good luck! :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users