Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I found why long boot up time

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:36 AM

I guss I got them over a period of time. I'm not sure if I can get rid of them. There is more than I can count. Every thing is working correctly. Can/Should I remove them. When I right click on them it says they are not in use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:19 AM

Yeah get rid of them, because you can always re-download them at a later date if you need them again, but just get rid one at a time and check everything is working after each one is deleted !

Edited by doinmeedin, 01 January 2010 - 07:19 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

Thank you for your reply. I will have to think about one at a time it would take 6 weeks.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

I`m going to guess you are looking at Hidden devices using the Environment Variables tweak I posted in another thread.

Be very careful when removing drivers under Network adapters and Sound, video and game controllers. Sometimes it is not as easy as just reinstalling them. Do`t ask me how I know. :flowers: :thumbsup: Although they are shown as not being used they may still be need`d by a program that is not currently running. But once you attempt to use the program you`ll know it was need`d.

If you use Flash drives be aware that there are usually 3 drivers installed each time one is plugged into a different port. One under Disk drives, one in Storage volumes and one, sometimes 2 in Universal Serial Bus controllers.

USB mice and keyboards may also install several. Not just under Keyboards and Mice and other pointing devices but also under Human Interface Devices and Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Non-Plug and Play Drivers can become really overloaded with drivers left behind from uninstalled software. Many security programs install drivers that are left behind after the program has been uninstalled.

Tread carefully and do your research.

Edited by ThunderZ, 01 January 2010 - 10:39 AM.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

Thank you all for your help. HID devices there is 14 unused. I did find what I was looking for HP printer drivers which I removed. I no longer have HP printers. There are so much of HP left on my computer from 4 different printers/scanners it would be about as long as a HJT log. At this time I don't use any HP printer/scanners and I'm just trying to clean things up. I have 5 open USB ports so I think I will leave the rest alone because I use them at times. I have googled and found there is many, many sites that have programs that say they remove all HP stuff but I need help there picking one.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

Other then what you have already done the instructions and\or tool here is all I would use or trust.

Edited by ThunderZ, 01 January 2010 - 11:38 PM.

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

:flowers:

I agree totally with ThunderZ on this, fooling around with HP Drivers is not an easy task and can lead to heaps of Dramas.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 01 January 2010 - 11:53 PM.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the information. Have a good year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users