Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen shows vertical multicolor strips

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 paloozamooza

paloozamooza

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:55 AM

Hi,

I just purchased my HP G71-343US laptop the day after Thanksgiving, and occasionally after waking it up from sleep mode, it shows vertical strips that look grey but are actually just a many multicolor dots. It only does it after waking it up from sleep mode, and no time else. Also, it only does it occasionally and I cannot duplicate the problem. After restarting my laptop, the lines go away and the screen looks perfectly normal. I've tried installing the chipset and intel graphical drivers, but it did not fix the problem. I also hooked up my laptop to an external monitor (my tv) and it also shows the strips on the tv, so it shouldn't be a problem with my lcd monitor. I've contacted HP but they aren't helping much. I took pictures and videos of the problem, because when I take a print screen of my screen, the lines don't show on the picture. Thanks for any help you have.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paloozamooza

paloozamooza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

I'm sorry to post again, but I really need someone's opinion if they have one. Everyone that I've talked to has no idea what is going on, and I feel like I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone could think of something that could spark up a solution :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

Well...I don't know anything about laptops...but, generally, any problems with display tend to be driver or video chipset issues, once the display device/monitor is ruled out.

Did you uninstall the current video drivers...before installing a fresh set of video drivers?

If not, try that.

If no joy, then check for updated drivers at the HP website.

Lastly...I suggest checking the HP forum for any posts about video problems with that system.

Louis

#4 paloozamooza

paloozamooza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for replying :flowers:

Yes, I did uninstall the current drivers before installing the new ones. Then new ones that I downloaded came from a HP assistant, and I also tried installing the ones on the HP website. I've also posted this on the HP forums, but no reply :thumbsup:

One thing I just discovered, though, was that it happens most of the time when I am carrying my laptop in sleep mode. For instance, I will be downstairs, finish what I am doing down there, put it in sleep mode, carry it upstairs, turn it on, and then it happens again. Am I moving something around while carrying it? I don't really know anything about computers, but I figured this had something to do with it.

#5 snbrdfntc

snbrdfntc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Hi,

I have the same laptop. It came from Sam's club on Black Friday. I'm having the same issue. Were you able to get any resolution to the problem? Thanks

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

Your video card is dead. Time to replace the lap top as fixing it would be more costly.

#7 paloozamooza

paloozamooza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

Hey,

I never did get a solution. However, I talked to someone who used to work for HP in person, and he said it's corrupted video memory and that I should send in a video of what I had taken to HP and let them know my issue. He also said that it's most likely a Windows 7 and video card compatibility issue. He said the only way to fix it would be with an update that HP could release, which would take a while because they would need more people to report the problem. Hopefully if you report the isse as well, we could get something started lol. I'm pretty sure that our video card isn't dead, because it only does this after sleep mode, and then goes away. Good luck with your laptop, maybe you will have more luck with HP than I had...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users