Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Speed and Bootup Problems on a Compromised System

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vinitharya

Vinitharya

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

Okay, I have fought as hard as I possibly can given my so-so Windows expertise, and at this point, I need some outside help. My computer is a fairly old machine, an HP Pavilion a1487c, a fairly good machine for 2006, but now, in 2010, its age has been catching up to it very quickly as of late.
I had been able to conquer every virus threat that appeared by myself with a judicious application of Avira, MWBytes, and Safe Mode with networking. This machine is old enough to not really warrant professional repair, and I have copied most every file I want to save onto a clean and scanned external drive. However, I want to be able to keep this computer somewhat healthy until I can find a replacement...
Now, when I start up, it's perfectly normal at first, but a glaring problem shows itself; Safe mode in any form, once fully loaded, only causes the computer to restart, until you stop trying to log on in SM. Furthermore, Stystem Restore has yielded nothing but BlueScreens. Last available config is also corrupt, as it took me a while to realize the problem. My Task Manager, Regedit, and My Computer is still completely under my control fortunately, but I don't know what to do at this point. Avira alerts me that "Crypt.ZPACK.Gen" trojan was detected EVERY TWO FREAKING MINUTES, and nothing I do changes anything (considering the shrill system sound Avira uses, this makes everyone's' ears bleed). Furthermore, task manager is ALWAYS at 100% CPU usage, so my computer is unforgivably slow when doing anything. Also, anytime I click on a Google Search link, I am shuttled away to an Advertising website, but pasting the URL into the entry bar still works.
I can give more information as needed, but this is my basic story, I just need this computer to last long enough to get a new one... any suggestions?

Edited by Vinitharya, 01 January 2010 - 01:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/fu....zpack.gen.html

You have the latest version of Avira Free...and it's properly updated...and you are NOT using the quarantine procedure?

Louis

#3 Vinitharya

Vinitharya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

The problem with that is, attempting to quarantine it seems to do absolutely no good. I have tried deleting, denying, and quarantining a thousand times over, and nothing changes...

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

EDIT: I moved this topic to the forum suggested in this post. I editted the original post since it is no longer relevant. ~ Elise

Edited by elise025, 02 January 2010 - 06:00 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Vinitharya

Vinitharya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

Thanks

#6 Vinitharya

Vinitharya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

I might want to add that I discovered where one of the main problems is. In my Temp file, there is a swarm of files that keep emerging, all of them with 4 random letters like tvsi.tmp, and they all put on a process called "svchost.exe" That explains why I have almost 20 such processes named like that in Task Manager, and it is probably what took out so much of my space on my computer. When I first discovered the problem, there were 986 such randomly named files, and the contents were about 200 MB of this BS svchost.exe crap. Does this make my potential solution more visible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users