Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sometimes website pages will not open

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lfshadow

lfshadow

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

Sometimes when I am on a website and try to click on something inside that website to get a different page it will not open the page.
(For Example: I can go to www.amazon.com website and click on a product listing and get that products page, but if I try to click for more info on that page it wonít take me to the next page. It just does nothing.)
I have Win XP and use Internet Explorer 8

I read thru some posts here to find a solution and found it could be something wrong with the Hosts file, or it could be a virus called ďChost TrojanĒ which changes the Hosts file. Iím afraid to mess with the Hosts file since I donít know what Iím doing. How can I check this or fix it?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

Check out this link, scroll down to Edit the HOST file http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/commun...s/ietopten.mspx this gives you a step by step guide to sorting out your host file don't be afraid just follow the instructions very carefully and take your time !

Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 lfshadow

lfshadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

I did it, but it didn't help. Should I try the other fixes on that webpage?

#4 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

Sorry for not answering you quicker but have been busy, yes try all other fixes, if they don't work search google for a download of a new hosts file and replace or if you have a friend who can email you a copy of theirs but ask them to send it zipped and then you can unzip it and replace after deleting your old one !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#5 lfshadow

lfshadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

It happened again, but this time
when I went to edit the HOST file to find anything without a # symbol in front of it, but when I clicked OPEN I got an MS Office Outlook message saying "The file 'host.ics' is not a valid iCalendar file". I Rt click on HOST again and clicked Properties and changed the type of program to open the file with to NOTEPAD and tried to open it again and got "## Copyright © 1993-2001 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This file has been automatically generated for use by Microsoft Internet
# Connection Sharing. It contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names
# for the home network. Please do not make changes to the HOSTS.ICS file.
# Any changes may result in a loss of connectivity between machines on the
# local network.
#

#192.168.0.1 lf-home.mshome.net # 2012 10 4 25 13 5 32 328

Now what do I do?

#6 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

Have you ran any scans i:e malware scans or virus scans !
If not download malwarebytes from this link http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php click on the blue download button thats the free version, save it to your desktop or somewhere you remember
After downloading change the name of the .exe file to dog.exe this prevents any trojans or malware from recognising it, when you open it and run it let it update the latest virus databases, then check the " run full scan " check box then click " scan "
After it finishes delete anything it finds then reboot PC to enable it to complete the cleaning procedure !
Then run eset online scanner from this link http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/ page will open then click on the little green tab at the bottom of the window which says " Eset Online Scanner " another window will open that will prompt you to download and install esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe follow the instructions and save it to your desktop.
When this is done click on the .exe on your desktop and run it and follow the instructions, while Eset runs DO NOT ! click on anything else just let it run !
When thats done it will show you what has been found, if anything is, delete and close then reboot again.
After that is done download ccleaner from this link http://www.piriform.com follow the instructions, when installing uncheck the "Yahoo Toolbar Option" after it installs, it will save a desktop icon, and also it will open automatically for you to run it, run it by clicking on "Analyse" then "Run Cleaner", this will clean out all your cookies from your browsers, i know that staff at BC don't like advising on registry cleaners, but ccleaner is a tried and trusted app so don't worry as it does back things up for you automatically, i say this because it has a registry cleaning option !

After all this let me know how things are !

doinmeedin

Edited by doinmeedin, 02 February 2010 - 11:24 AM.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

OP, FYI,

Why registry cleaners are not recommended

#Post 3 by Animal:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/292185/bleepingcomputer-registry-cleaner/

Doinmeedin

Can you not just delete the cookies in Internet Explorer / Tools / Internet Options;
is CCleaner really necessary, just for that; in inexperienced hands that program
can cause problems, rather than solve them.

Just my opinion.

Have you ran any scans i:e malware scans or virus scans !

Could well be the answer.

Edited by petewills , 02 February 2010 - 01:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users