Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not Booting up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kinggw23

kinggw23

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

I have a desktop computer that is not booting up. It is a home built computer built in 2004. The computer's fans will start to run then shut off about 5 seconds later. When you push the power button, nothing happens. We took the computer to Fry's Electronics and they tested the power supply. It tested fine. What would be preventing it from working. I pulled the hard drive out and put in another computer and it ran fine. Any ideas? Thanks

George
Dell Dimension E520
750GB HD 4GB Ram
ATI Readeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit

Dell Inspiron 1501
80gb HD 2gb Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kinggw23

kinggw23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:52 PM

forgot to mention, I do not see a light on the motherboard when the power cord is connected. Not sure if I should though, my Dell Dimension 8250 does. Would the coin battery cause that issue?

George
Dell Dimension E520
750GB HD 4GB Ram

Dell Inspiron 1501
80gb HD 2gb Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

CPU? Motherboard?

Does it POST? Any BIOS beeps?

Louis

The CMOS battery...IME, will not cause a non-boot situation. It can cause "apparent" hardware problems where nothing is wrong with the hardware and it can cause false BSODs errors in XP. For the price of it ($4), I would replace it on general pricipals), thereby removing it from consideration in the future.

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#4 kinggw23

kinggw23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

It does not do anything. When I push the power button on the front, nothing happens. only when you plug in the cord. All 3 fans are on, then goes off, which I think is normal. I made sure the power button on front was plugged in, havent tested it though. Not sure how.
Dell Dimension E520
750GB HD 4GB Ram

Dell Inspiron 1501
80gb HD 2gb Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users