Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New MB, monitor/video problem...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Demento19

Demento19

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:49 PM

This is my first pc build, so bear with me.

I just installed an ASUS A8V Deluxe MB w/ an Athlon 64 processor, and when i boot the computer, all lights, fans and drives seem to go on, except the monitor doesnt pick up an signal from the pc. I didnt look at the Monitor plug (The monitor port on the MB is a male port!) when i bought the mb, as i was planning on running my monitor on a Radeon 9600 128mb Se AGP. The MB manual says only a 1.5v AGP vidcard can be run, and the gold plug shown in the manual for a 1.5v looks different from the gold plug on my card.

In order to make sure my problem wasnt just with the video card, i took my dads Radeon 9200 PCI and plugged it in, thinking a PCI card would solve the problems. The monitor still did not get a signal. I then tested a second monitor, to make sure it wasnt my monitor that was the problem. So my question is what is going wrong, ive tested both vid card and the monitors, and im lost as to what the problem is.

Im using a 80gb HD from an older computer, since i need all the data still in the HD. Will having data on the HD from the start cause problems? AND, since i had XP installed on the computer that had the HD, will that OS automatically transfer onto this new pc? This is my first build, so i know very little.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. If you need any other specs or info to diagnose, ill be happy to provide it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

viddeo should work, on the a8v, is there a small 4 pin 12volt power connector somewhere by the cpu? if it has one, the mobo will not post unless plugged in.
pull out all other cards you may have in it for now, try to post. switch ram, check for creepage, try to post. switch variables and try to post. once post is complete, then you worry about your hdd.
chances are it eill reboot if you are changing architextures at the xp boot screen. you may even get it to go into safe mode, but you will have to run a repair off hte cd. not a big deal. i would personally get it to boot, burn off all data(shoulda done that before you switched board) then format machine.
your post problem sounds like a power issue to me though.
let me know
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Demento19

Demento19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:24 PM

Thanks. I got help from other people as well, and i found i installed too many of the brass mobo mounts into the case.

Im pretty sure i need a new XP, since my old one came inside the E_machines, and it will only work with the same mobo, what a scam.

I just dont know how i can get the pc to load or run a CD. No matter what boot order i have setup, i get taken to the XP welcome screen everytime. Help! I want to totally make sure i need to spend 200$ on XP..

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:12 PM

frst, make sure you have the same "bootable winxp cd's" that machine was set up with, either xp home/pro/retail/oem/"devils own" /sp2. it likely won't boot from the "recovery cd" and it wont help either.
if you have the disc, and can't make it boot to cd from bios menu, press f-8 continously as soon as you get video, it should provide you with a "boot menu" to select floppy/harddisk/cdrom.
try this, make sure you try a "repair" first brfore you go and format the drive.
let me know
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users