Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:47 PM
Before You Reformat
1. If you want to save files, make sure you burn them onto a disk or copy them to a floppy.
2. Make sure that you have your Windows XP CD, your Windows Product key, any driver disks that came with your computer or other hardware you installed, and the disks for any programs you installed.
How To Reformat:
1. Place the Windows CD into your CD drive. Reboot your computer with the CD in the drive. Depending on your system either hit F8 or F2 to get to the boot menu.
2. You will be taken to the boot menu, once there hit the command that says boot from cd. After, Once the boot menu pops up hit boot from disk, Windows will take forever and a blue screen will popup and say loading windows files and all that stuff.
Once its finished there will be three options, one to repair windows, one to reinstall windows, and one to exit and go back to your regular computer operating stance. Hit the key that takes you to a clean windows install If your trying to remove a virus you need to completely reinstall windows, including delete the partitions. Running windows repair will not get the virus off.
3. You will be asked if you wish to create a new partition. First, select the partition that you already have, and press D to delete your existing partition, and then L to confirm that you wish to do this. This will completely erase all documents and programs (and viruses!) off of your computer.
4. You then need to create a new partition. To do, this select C.
5. When asked what size you wish to make your new partition, just press Enter to make your partition the maximum size.
6. Select the partition that you have created to install Windows on by pressing Enter.
7. Your computer will prompt you asking if you wish to do a quick installation or a regular installation. Either will work fine, but "quick" goes faster.
8. Now you need to select Format the partition by using the NTFS file system.
9. Windows will now be installed, follow all instruction menus from here on out.