Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jwunderdog

jwunderdog

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

I have win2000 I want to wipe the os and everything else off the computer and then reinstall win2000 from a disk how do I do it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:04 PM

Boot from the windows 2000 CD and follow the instructions, it's pretty easy. When you get to the part about partitions take the option to delete the existing partition, then create a new one and format it. It will pretty much tell you what to do. This will wipe out your existing data, everything will be gone except for a fresh install of Windows.
EDIT: typo

Edited by QQQQ, 19 August 2005 - 04:04 PM.

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:47 PM

Before You Reformat
1. If you want to save files, make sure you burn them onto a disk or copy them to a floppy.

2. Make sure that you have your Windows XP CD, your Windows Product key, any driver disks that came with your computer or other hardware you installed, and the disks for any programs you installed.

How To Reformat:

1. Place the Windows CD into your CD drive. Reboot your computer with the CD in the drive. Depending on your system either hit F8 or F2 to get to the boot menu.

2. You will be taken to the boot menu, once there hit the command that says boot from cd. After, Once the boot menu pops up hit boot from disk, Windows will take forever and a blue screen will popup and say loading windows files and all that stuff.

Once its finished there will be three options, one to repair windows, one to reinstall windows, and one to exit and go back to your regular computer operating stance. Hit the key that takes you to a clean windows install If your trying to remove a virus you need to completely reinstall windows, including delete the partitions. Running windows repair will not get the virus off.

3. You will be asked if you wish to create a new partition. First, select the partition that you already have, and press D to delete your existing partition, and then L to confirm that you wish to do this. This will completely erase all documents and programs (and viruses!) off of your computer.

4. You then need to create a new partition. To do, this select C.

5. When asked what size you wish to make your new partition, just press Enter to make your partition the maximum size.

6. Select the partition that you have created to install Windows on by pressing Enter.

7. Your computer will prompt you asking if you wish to do a quick installation or a regular installation. Either will work fine, but "quick" goes faster.

8. Now you need to select Format the partition by using the NTFS file system.

9. Windows will now be installed, follow all instruction menus from here on out.

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:53 PM

Excellent detailed there TEB !!!
I try to let them learn as much as they can on their own, just get them started. They sometimes teach me a thing or 2.

#5 jwunderdog

jwunderdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:10 AM

I assume when you are talking about the f8 key. When I hit that it takes me to the advaned startup menu, that menu does not give me a boot by cd option. it gives me a boot logging option and a normal boot option. When I hit the f2 I just get a setup menu. What am I doing wrong? I tried both the normal boot and the boot logging both just started in a reg. boot form.

THanks for you help

#6 jwunderdog

jwunderdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:16 AM

Is there a place I can find my prodcut key on my computer for win 2000. I want to make sure it is what I have written down.

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:56 AM

It should either be on the cd case that you bought windows on, or the computer....left of the top cd drive.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:00 AM

Download and run Belarc Advisor:

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Scroll down to where it lists your Windows version and you will see the key number.

You can also download magicaljellybean keyfinder.
http://www.magicjellybean.com/

I would do both to verify that I had the correct key number.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users