Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Boot Loop After Repair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 b0rk3n

b0rk3n

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hello everyone. First time poster here...

I have already conducted numerous searches for the solution to this problem that I'm having... none of the solutions that I have found work.

My problem started when my computer became infected with Tidserv... Symantec, MBAM, Adaware, and RootRepeal did not find anything wrong, but any time I went to Google and conducted a search, I would click on one of the results and get redirected back to Google/webhp. Google was my default homepage, and when I would launch it, I would also get a survey from the websitesurvey.com that stated somethng about rl3822x.cn. Anyway, I looked into these issues, and found that Tidserv was most likely causing it. Attempts to get rid of Tidserv did not work. I decided to try to repair windows as a last result. Prior to this, my computer was running Windows XP Pro SP3 fully patched with the latest stuff... I have a legit Windows XP SP2 cd, so that's what I booted with for the repair.

After the repair, the computer is now stuck in a boot loop if I try to boot normally. I CAN boot into Safe mode, but not safe mode with networking. While in safe mode, there's a message that says that this copy of Windows is not activated... the kicker is that I cannot activate it while in safe mode, and I cannot boot into normal mode due to the boot loop, so I'm stuck. Any advice that you can provide is greatly appreicated. I start school again on Jan 4th, and plan on trying to fix this issue hopefully before then. Reinstalling Windows is a LAST RESORT for me, as I have a (newly acquired) 1TB external drive that I can copy all my important stuff to, and then re-install everything from scratch and bring all my files back, but I really don't want to go this route if I can avoid it. Please help, and thanks in advance.

I will be checking for replies to this post over the next few days (fri, sat, and sun)... but tonight I'm stepping away from the computer and going out for New Year's Eve... if I sit in front of the broken machine any longer (I'm typing this from an old laptop), I'm going to put my fist through it.

Happy New Year!

R,
B0rk3n

Edited by b0rk3n, 31 December 2009 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

You cannot do a repair install of XP...with a CD which reflects less than the current SP installed on the system.

The result is usually a clean install of the older O/S, rather than a repair.

Louis

#3 b0rk3n

b0rk3n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:33 AM

You cannot do a repair install of XP...with a CD which reflects less than the current SP installed on the system.

The result is usually a clean install of the older O/S, rather than a repair.

Louis

I see... well, that's good to know. The original install started off with a legit version (cd) of Windows XP SP2 and was later updated with SP3... so I guess I need to pick up a legit cd of SP3 and try that... or is it too late since I did a repair with a SP2 cd? Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

I suggest creating an update XP CD via slipstreaming, one which include SP3. A good tool for doing such would be nLite.

Once that is done, I would use the newly created, updated XP CD to try a repair install.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#5 b0rk3n

b0rk3n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

I suggest creating an update XP CD via slipstreaming, one which include SP3. A good tool for doing such would be nLite.

Once that is done, I would use the newly created, updated XP CD to try a repair install.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

YOU ROCK! THE PEOPLE WHO WROTE THOSE GUIDES ROCK! YOU ALL ROCK!!!! I'm typing this from the computer that was busted... now it's all good... THANK YOU!!! Great start to a new year!!! :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users