Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain Controller

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eligos

Eligos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

Hello, I'm currently in the process of trying to set up a test computer on my home network so that it will be able to connect and login to my Windows Server 2003 server running as a domain controller. I've followed all the of steps on the site linked below, but when I try to enter the domain on the other machines it tells me that it is timing out. I've read through quite a few sites, all with different steps on how to configure the server and the workstation both. Some say to change the computers DNS server to point to the servers IP, while some say not to. Would anybody be able to help walk me through this tedious process?

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/configure-w...ain-controller/

Server:
IP: 192.168.1.123
Domain Name: Compaq.internal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hi, has DHCP being installed on the server? If so what settings? ipconfig /all will help. If you have installed DHCP it will need to be turned off on your router. Are you able to resolve hostnames to ip e.g. google.com ?

Edited by Monty007, 31 December 2009 - 09:10 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 Eligos

Eligos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

Sorry for late reply. After playing around with the server for the rest of the day I finally got the logging in to work. Now I'm really worried about how I will be able to implement this into the network I'm supposed to be designing.

There will be 5 computers for members to use by entering their login information which is managed by the domain controller, and 2 other computers for creating and managing those users accounts with active directory. I really want to manage all of the users information (names, phone numbers, addresses, etc) with active directory system, but I don't know how to give someone who isn't a server administrator access to only creating and modifying user accounts. Is there any software that will allow the 2 staff computers to connect remotely and add users to the specified OU?

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:32 AM

Hi, can you please explain in detail what you are trying to achieve. Why are computers connecting remotely? They don't users do. Why also do you want to give a user access to create accounts? There are only computers but how many users?
What do you want on the server? Users documents ect any thing else?
MCP
MSDST

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

Create a group (call it whatever some like account setup) and add the users you wish to control the specific OU to the group. In active directory users and computers right click the OU and selct properties. Go to the managed by section and add the group you created. Now anyone addded to the group should be able to manage that specific OU.

As a second note you said you have five computers for everyone to use. Are they going to be using a differnt computer at any time. If that is the case you may want to look at setting up roaming profiles for every user.

You can connect by using mmc - users and computers snap in - directed to the domain controller.

However letting some one who you can't trust on the server to manage anything in AD is a terrible idea. You are asking for more problems and wasted time than you will save. Do it yourself. Set up a user template(s) do help speed up the process.

Edited by Baltboy, 12 January 2010 - 09:10 AM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

Though I'm just a wondering enthusiast, I can even say that that's no good of an idea.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:48 PM

If you do have DHCP Setup on the server you will need to allocate IP's for it as well so when you login you can receive an IP address.

#8 kiksmo.solutions

kiksmo.solutions

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:28 AM

If you want to join Domain so firstly DHCP And DNS server must be install in your domain if you have only two PC one is a serve and second is client so you can install DHCP and DNS both on the server computer then make a account for the client computer.

Account can be created through the DHCP or manually assigned the IP address then join your client server to the Domain.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users